Author Topic: Williams HUGHES Beddgelert/Llanfrothen  (Read 8763 times)

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Williams HUGHES Beddgelert/Llanfrothen
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob
Assuming you've got the right William Hughes, the Bryngelynen family, and from replies by others and what I've been able to find, it appears likely that his descendants have married into a prominent family in the area. The familiy's ancestry is included in Ceiri Griffith's books of family trees. I seem to recall that you have a copy of his second book; is that so ? I have a copy of the latest edition, published 2012. I don't know, without checking at the County library or Archives, whether or not any changes have been made. In my edition there's something seriously wrong. He shows a brother and sister as having married, and also has made a mistake between 2 persons of the same name. I'm referring to [204] top right corner, in latest edition, 'Tanrhiw, Aberglaslyn a,  Croesor Uchaf, Llanfrothen'.
I now have Census  and other info re. families involved which should enable me to correct the error. It would help if you have access to one of Ceiri's books. I await your reply.
I won't be able to name descendants beyond brothers Emrys Annwyl and David Charles Williams. A second cousin of mine has married one of Emrys' grandchildren, but I've only met her a couple of times and am not in contact.
Emyr

Offline robdavies66

• RootsChat Extra
  • Now living in Fareham, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hello again Emyr,

Currently I'm still only 95% confident that this William HUGHES is 'my' William HUGHES.
I've ordered copies of two birth certificates (one for John & the other for Margaret) which if they are for the children of the above William, then hopefully they will show mother's maiden surname as Jones -- which will raise my confidence level to 99%.

Anyway, I've already taken the plunge & started adding the details to my (public) Rob Davies' Family Tree in Ancestry. So far, I got as far as the all the Census records for Margaret plus her death records. From her husband, Charles' 1911 Census record it indicates they were married in 1863 (although I can't find any evidence to back this up) & had 8 children -- only 7 are on the Census records.

I can confirm that I have the 2003 edition of Ceiri Griffith's book & I've found the entries you mention on Page 204. However, I remain to be convinced that this links to 'my' William Hughes' descendants. The birth of Anne Charles Williams, daughter of Charles Hughes & Margaret, nee Williams was registered in 2Q 1882 & was living unmarried with the father at the time of the 1911 Census. In the book it shows Robert Anwyl Williams died on 18 Feb 1894 aged 29
Anne's brother David Charles Williams' birth was registered in 4Q 1873 so he would have broken a few records if he died in 1991.

By the way, I do have a famous living Welsh relative.
Professor Bryn(ley) Roberts, now 83. is my mother's first cousin -- both comes from my Bontnewydd Williams' line. He was one of the three tutors who taught Prince Charles Welsh & has been The Librarian at the Welsh National Library. Although I'm now in email contact with him we've never met, although I (& the elder of my two brothers both younger than me) stayed with his parents for a week in Aberdare in 1958!

Regards, Rob
Hughes & Griffth(s) of Nantmor, Beddgelert
Williams of Bontnewydd
Edwards & Thomas of Harlech/ Llandanwg
Jones of Llanystumdwy
 ==============
Davies/David of Pentrych/ Cardiff , Glamorgan
David of Peterstone super Ely, Glamorgan
Morgan of Eglwysilan, Glamorgan
Miles of Peterstone super Ely

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 21:40 BST (UK) »
Hi
Does the edition you have of Ceiri's book show both Annie vch Charles Williams  and  Robert Annwyl Williams as being children of David Williams/Catherine Parry, and as also being wife and husband ?  Also, does it show Annie/Robert's children as being Emrys Annwyl Williams and David Charles Williams ?
Annie vch Charles Williams married a different Robert Annwyl Williams. I've mislaid the paper I wrote details on; but from memory, they got married in 1911 after the Census date; Emrys born 1912 an David Charles 1921.
Emyr

Offline robdavies66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 04 September 14 09:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Emyr, I tried to send a scan of Page 204 as an attachment but failed as the file is too large.

It does show Annie (no dates) & her husband Robert (date of death only) as the children of David Williams & Catherine Parry -- but clearly is only valid for Robert.
It does show Emrys (no dates) & David (death year only) as the only two children of Annie & Robert
Regards, Rob
Williams of Bontnewydd
Jones of Llanystumdwy
 ==============

Offline robdavies66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 05 September 14 21:29 BST (UK) »
Great News,

I've now got copies of the birth certificates for John Roberts HUGHES who was born on 20 Aug 1841 at Penrhyn isaf, Llanfihangel (y traethau) & Margaret HUGHES who was born on 24 Jun 1843 at Bryngelynen, Llanfrothen where in both cases the father is William HUGHES, Farmer & the mother is Margaret HUGHES, formerly JONES.
Note:- I've also now got copies of William & Margaret's death certificates

So, I'm now 99% convinced that the life history of William HUGHES, my 2x great grand Uncle (& brother of my 2x great grandfather, Daniel Hughes 1801- 876) is:-
* Baptised on 31 May 1807 at the Parish Church, Beddgelert, with parents as Edward & Catherine HUGHES
* Married first wife Margaret JoONES on 22 Jan 1834 at Llanfihangel (y taethau?) where his father is shown as Edward HUGHES
* His & Margaret's first child, Eleanor HUGHES was baptised on 15 Jul 1839 at the Parish Church, Llanfrothen
* He, Margaret & Eleanor are shown on the 1841 Census as living at Bryngelen, Llanfrothen
* His & Margaret's second child, John Roberts HUGHES was born on 20 Aug 1841 at Penrhyn isaf, Llanfihangel (home of Margaret's parents?) and baptised on 8 Aug 1841 at the Parish Church, Llanfrothen
* His & Margaret's third child, Margaret HUGHES, was born on 24 Jun 1843 at Bryngelynen, Llanfrothen and baptised on 2 Jul 1843 at the Parish Church, Llanfrothen
* His wife Margaret died on 24 Jun 1843 at Bryngelynen, Llanfrothen -- was she buried at the Parish Church, Llanfrothen on 27 Jun 1843 rather than 27 May 1843 , as per dragon T's RootsChat message (reply #1) dated 28 Aug 2014?
* Married second wife, Jane OWEN(S) on 26 Nov 1846 at the Parish Church, Llanfrothen
* He, Jane & his three children from his first marriage (Eleanor, John & Margaret) are shown on the 1851 Census as living at Bryngelynen, Llanfrothen
* He died on 20 Jan 1854 at Bryngelynen, Llanfrothen -- but don't have any burial details

Unfortunately with surnames of HUGHES, JONES & OWEN(S) it's impossible to be 100% certain as it's always possible that there's another family around that time who also 'match up' -- as I've discovered to my cost with my paternal grandmother's ancestors from Somerset!

If anyone can add more light on this William HUGHES, then this would be great.
But, in all honesty I'm only expecting (at best) it will only be for his descendants.

Rob from Fareham, Hampshire
Williams of Bontnewydd
Jones of Llanystumdwy
 ==============

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 06 September 14 11:20 BST (UK) »
Hi
Have been researching Penrhyn Isa family. I'm having trouble with my computer at the moment, keeps freezing, won't write much until I've got that sorted out.
Have a look at [130] in Ceiri's  book, top right. There are errors, so don't take too much notice of the details for the moment.
John Roberts' children are by 1st wife, Mary Jones, died 1806. My interest is in the descendants of his daughter, Elizabeth Jones; your's in John Roberts jnr.. John snr remarried in 1809, moved to Hafod y Wern, his 2nd wife's home, and died 1812. His son John took over the tenancy of Penrhyn Isa in 1809. In John snr.'s will the children have 'surname' Jones, following the Welsh tradition, but John jnr. was involved in the English legal system because of a famous murder at Penrhyn Isa. He was referred to in that case as John Roberts, and he adopted surname Roberts.
John jnr is at Penrhyn Isa 1841 Census, age 60 (should be 60+); also William and Margaret Hughes, both 25+; I assume they're married. There's a William Hughes, 7; and 2 female servants.
Census 1851 you've got William Hughes, Head, 39 and wife Margaret, 36; and children, William, 17 and John, 9 (I assume John Roberts Hughes born 1841). Penrhyn Isa is in parish of Llanfihangel-y- Traethau. Early records for the family are to be found in that parish church registers, but later in Llanfrothen parish. Ll-y-T church is the other side of the Dwyryd estuary, and difficult to get to; whilst it's ony about 2 miles overland to Llanfrothen church.
Moving back to Charles Williams. You say:
    Anyway, I've already taken the plunge & started adding the details to my (public) Rob Davies' Family Tree in Ancestry. So far, I got as far as the all the Census records for Margaret plus her death records. From her husband, Charles' 1911 Census record it indicates they were married in 1863 (although I can't find any evidence to back this up) & had 8 children -- only 7 are on the Census records.  .........
I assume that you interpret the figure given for 'completed years of marriage' as 48. I think it's 40 with a little ink blot at the top of the '0'; compare with the '8' in the 'no. of children' column. 40 makes more sense when you look at birth date of first child, c. 1872. There's a marriage in UK BMD, Ffestiniog Q4 1870 11b 751, Charles Williams to Margaret Williams. In North Wales BMD, it only gives date by year, not quarter. It gives possible variations in 'surname' if the father's surname is different to that of his child. There is an explanation on the website. There are 2 different surnames for Charles, Williams and Charles; and 2 different for Margaret, Williams and Hughes. NW BMD also says whether it was a Church or civil marriage. If church they say which church and you can check the parish register. Unfortunately this was a civil marriage, probably in a  'chapel', nonconformist church.
Emyr

Offline robdavies66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 08 September 14 14:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Emyr & wow, what  great detective work.

I've now found the 1861 & 1871 Census entries for the L-y-T William & Margaret HUGHES. In the 1861 Census is a son John ROBERTS! aged 19. Birthplace fro Margaret & John is shown as Penrhyn. In the 1871 Census it's just William & Margaret with no children -- & Margaret's birthplace as Penrhyn.

I'm therefore convinced that the birth certificate that I've got for John Roberts Hughes born on Penrhyn Isaf, L-y-T is NOT for John, the son of the William & Margaret HUGHES living at Llanfrothen (in the 1851 & 1861 Census records).

However based on the one valid birth certificate (for Margaret HUGHES)  plus all the other inter-linking records, my confidence level, that the subject Williams HUGHES is my 2x great grand uncle, still remains at 99%.

Margaret WILLIAMS, nee HUGHES is shown in the 1911 Census as a Visitor of Edward Ch & Maggie (her married daughter) HUGHES at Caedu Farm, Blaenau Festiniog where it shows she's been married for 40 years -- which confirms your interpretation on how long her husband Charles had been married.
Note:- Can you read the birthplace of Maggie's husband?

I've also found in Ancestry, the public WILLIAMS/CRAMPTON Family Tree owned by 'dafyddwms' who appears to be the great grandson of Jane Ellen Charles WILLIAMS (daughter of Charles & 'birth certificate' Margaret) who married Thomas CRAMPTON -- born in India, married in London & died in Seattle, USA!

On this Family Tree there are some photos of headstones in Tan-Lan Cemetery, which I've copied to my public Rob Davies' Family Tree in Ancestry.

'dafyddwms' also shows on his Family Tree that Anne (shown as Annie in the E&W Marriage Index) Charles WILLIAMS married Robert Anwyl WILLIAMS on 2 Apr 1911 where Robert's parents are shown as David & Catherine WILLIAMS. Robert is shown in 1891 Census as living at Croesor Uchaf, Llanfrohen with his parents & brother Willam and in the 1911 Census at Croesor, Llanfrothen with with (now married) brother William.
In all honesty, this seem more likely than that shown on Page 204 in Ceri Griffith's book.

Once I've finished my research into all the children of Charles & Margaret (the sons are more challenging!), I will contact 'dafyddwms' via Ancestry as he has Charles' wife as Margaret WILLIAMS.

Best wishes, Rob
Williams of Bontnewydd
Jones of Llanystumdwy
 ==============

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 08 September 14 15:49 BST (UK) »
Hi
CORRECTION to my Reply #14 :
According to gravestone inscription 6th line should read "  (should be 55+) ";  died 13/12/1842, aged 59 yrs.
Seen William & Margaret Hughes' grave at Llanfrothen, covered in 4ft high brambles; had to do some gardening to be able to see the inscription. It's in Welsh - says:
In memory of Margaret wife of William Hughs of Fron y Gelynnen, who died 24th June 1843 aged 41. Here also was buried William Hughes of Fron y Gelynnen who died 20th January 1854 aged 47.
NOTE
2 different spelling of Hughes.
Welsh for June is Mehefin. It's been abbreviated  to Me. Could be mistaken for May.

Moving on to your latest post.
The 1841/51 William Hughes family at Penrhyn Isa, are at Hafod y Wern in 1861, including John. In 1871 just the parents at 7 Penlan, William now a Coal Merchant.

Offline robdavies66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 08 September 14 18:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Emyr for the Correction as it all makes sense.
On her death certificate Margaret HUGHES, nee JONES (I hope!) it shows she died on 24 June 1843 (the same day as her daughter Margaret was born) where the Cause of Death is Child followed by something like 'bed' when I was expecting it to be 'Birth'.

The photos of headstones in the Tan-Lan Cemetery, Llanfrothen that I've copied across from 'dafyddwms's Family Tree to my own Family Tree are:-
1) Charles WILLIAMS died 1914 & his wife Margaret nee (I hope) HUGHES died 1921
2) David Charles WILLIAMS died 1928 -- I've added a comment about his on 'dafyydwms's Tree as above it is a John WILLIAMS who died in 1914 & below it is David's wife Margaret nee (possibly) THOMAS whose date I cannot read
3) Ellis DAVIES died 1926. his wife Jane Ellen nee WILLIAMS (but previously CRAMPTON) died 1967 & Annie Regina CRAMPTON (from Jane Ellen's first marriage) died 2001
4) Robert Anwyl WILLIAMS died 1969 & his wife Annie Charles, nee WILLIAMS died 1955

I've also found a photo from Find A Grave of the headstone for Thomas CRAMPTON in Seattle, USA.

Regards, Rob
Williams of Bontnewydd
Jones of Llanystumdwy
 ==============