Author Topic: BRIXHAM  (Read 2652 times)

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
BRIXHAM
« on: Thursday 28 August 14 14:08 BST (UK) »
Has anyone any knowledge of the old names for streets of Brixham in Devon ?I am looking for a street named Frogewyll Strete in a very early document 1497?
AND does anyone have any information about this chap
John Taylor
DRO  3799M-0/ET/4/40  1476  A Lease for lives
1. William Huddesfyld, Thomas Bowryng and John Snape
2. John Taylor, Donalda his wife and Rose their daughter
Premises: one cottage with garden adjoining in Brixham, situated between the close of William Jule on the east and the close of John Mason on the west, which 1. recently had by gift from Henry POMEROY esq., licence having been granted to him by the king
Rent: 4/-
Witnesses: Nicholas Stephyn, John Clement, John Mason, Richard Baker, John Elyot
Date: Brixham, Saturday, the feast of St Thomas the Apostle, 16 Edward IV
Seals: small, round, device (broken); small, round, hunting horn, inscription; small, device

During the uneasy reign of Henry VII John Taylor was one of Perkin Warbeck's first promoters
( circa 1474 – 23 November 1499)  a pretender to the English throne said to be the second son of Edward IV one of the two lost princes in the Tower.
Taylor was in charge of a small fleet, equipped and paid for by the King of France, which had been sent apparently to fetch a Yorkist prince. He spent a huge amount of money on the cause  around  1,750 livres including a 49 livres on a suit of white armour intended for the Yorkist Prince.
John Taylor was captured, in Ireland,in September 1499 with Warbeck, Cork’s mayor John Atwater, and his son.  They were tried and convicted on November 16 . Wilford was beheaded on the 29th November 1499  and John Taylor was imprisoned for 10 years.perkin Warebeck was ultimated hanged for treason , to behead him would have given greadence to his claim to be the true King of England.

John Taylor a customs official in Exeter and Dartmouth if he had a small fleet of ships presumably he was a merchant  possible from the wool trade .
He also appears to have leased a property in Brixham in 1476, so  before Henry VII took the throne in 1485.
Looking to discover more about this shadowy figure.
Pomeroy in London & Liverpool , Pomery near Launceston Cornwall, Shearer of Thurso, Moore in Colchester and Hornblow in Braintree Essex, Machin in Hackney & Stafford & Cook in Herts, Campbell, Sutherland, Mackay, Brotchie, Gunn in Thurso Caithness. Cadle in South Africa.

researching the Pomeroy Family of Collaton in Newton Ferrers and St Columb in Cornwall

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline terryleaman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: BRIXHAM
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 August 14 22:26 BST (UK) »
Try asking Brixham Heritage Museum  http://www.brixhammuseum.org.uk/home.php
Hooper- Torquay & Exbourne
Stevenson- Plymouth & Lincolnshire
Vivian- Cornwood & London

General Torquay local history- OPC for Torquay

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 August 14 06:37 BST (UK) »
I have looked at their website but it is no longer a comprehensive as it was and I could see nothing of use there.   I think  might have to go there. 
Thanks for the suggestion though.
Pomeroy in London & Liverpool , Pomery near Launceston Cornwall, Shearer of Thurso, Moore in Colchester and Hornblow in Braintree Essex, Machin in Hackney & Stafford & Cook in Herts, Campbell, Sutherland, Mackay, Brotchie, Gunn in Thurso Caithness. Cadle in South Africa.

researching the Pomeroy Family of Collaton in Newton Ferrers and St Columb in Cornwall

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 August 14 08:02 BST (UK) »
There is a 'contact us' at the top of the link given by terryleaman, it would be worth asking there.

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 15:51 BST (UK) »
I used to live in Brixham in the early 70's and I thought I remembered an area known as Frogwell so I had a trawl around the internet.  There is still a Frogwell guest house and some Frogwell Cottages.
Here follows some quotes extracted from the document called "The Higher Brixham Conservation Area" which refer to the old Frogwell Lane that is now Greenover Road.
*Opposite Polhearne Lane, Brookdale House, No. 21 Horesepool Street and garden wall stands at the southeast corner with Dashpers (formerly Frogwell Lane), its Horsepool Street façade and high front wall extending for nearly 60m.
*At the asymmetric junction of Knick Knack Lane, Burton Street, Dashpers, and Greenover Road another short spur of the conservation area runs west along Dashpers for 70m. This, the former
Frogwell Lane, also forms part of the designated area east of Horsepool Street.
*A cluster of compact farms complexes are concentrated around the Horsepool Street and Frogwell
Lane (now Greenover Road) area.

Rowse in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 18:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that maybe I will be able to find what I was looking for using that !