Author Topic: Prisoner of War and next of kin  (Read 450 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Prisoner of War and next of kin
« on: Thursday 28 August 14 16:32 BST (UK) »
I have found the POW records of my great uncle, Robert Howell, who was captured on the first day of the battle of the Aisne on 27th May 1918.

On his enlistment papers he gives his next of kin as his sister, my grandmother, as he lived with her and my grandfather from the age of 14. However, the strange thing is that on the POW records he gives his brother, Edward Howell as his next of kin. Edward was also fighting in France at that time. The address he gives is not Edward's address but is my grandparents' home. Could this be because my grandmother had a German surname as my grandfather's parents were German? Would he have wanted to hide this connection?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Prisoner of War and next of kin
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 August 14 17:07 BST (UK) »
It sounds to me like he was trying to protect them once he became a POW Groom..Bless.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Prisoner of War and next of kin
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 August 14 17:19 BST (UK) »
That was my thought as well, Carol. He would have regarded my grandmother as his mother as she virtually brought him up from the age of 3 when their own mother was drowned. My great grandfather remarried, but I know all the children hated their stepmother and left home as soon as they were able. Uncle Bob survived the war and I always remember him as having pure white hair. I made contact with a second cousin and the first thing she asked was whether I remembered his hair.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk