Author Topic: Born in Llywel, Trallong or Llandeilo'r Fan?  (Read 4040 times)

Offline annesthreads

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Born in Llywel, Trallong or Llandeilo'r Fan?
« on: Thursday 28 August 14 16:56 BST (UK) »
Someone on my tree has all these places given as her birthplace on different censuses. They're all quite close together. Looking at a modern map, Llandeilo'r Fan seems to be very small, the other two slightly bigger. I'm wondering if the explanation for the inconsistencies might be that she came from a farm in the general area?
Brien; Young (Gloucestershire and Manchester); Gleave; Wilson (Lincolnshire and Manchester); Brandish; Buxton; Govier; Hilton (Lancashire); Gerrard; Bishop (Gloucestershire).

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Born in Llywel, Trallong or Llandeilo'r Fan?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 22:29 BST (UK) »
Llandeilo'r Fan is quite remote, even today and is little more than a hamlet.  Trallong is a bit bigger but as you say, not too far away.  Llywel nowadays is little more than the church and a couple of houses.  However, Llywel is also the name of the parish so it is possible that that's what is referred to rather than the place.

Regards
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline annesthreads

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Born in Llywel, Trallong or Llandeilo'r Fan?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 22:35 BST (UK) »
Llandeilo'r Fan is quite remote, even today and is little more than a hamlet.  Trallong is a bit bigger but as you say, not too far away.  Llywel nowadays is little more than the church and a couple of houses.  However, Llywel is also the name of the parish so it is possible that that's what is referred to rather than the place.

Regards
GS

Thanks for this -really useful. I'll have to go and explore  next time I'm in that area.
Brien; Young (Gloucestershire and Manchester); Gleave; Wilson (Lincolnshire and Manchester); Brandish; Buxton; Govier; Hilton (Lancashire); Gerrard; Bishop (Gloucestershire).