Author Topic: Voices from the Old Bailey  (Read 489 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Voices from the Old Bailey
« on: Friday 29 August 14 18:32 BST (UK) »
Anyone else been listening to this Radio 4 series? It analyses the transcripts of cases available on the Old Bailey Online site.

This week's was about Shoplifting, and the attitude of society to the crime. Next week's deals with Transportation.

I'm sure that many of us have black sheep in our families, and courts in the rest of the country would have treated miscreants in the same way as those in London.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Online Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Voices from the Old Bailey
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 August 14 18:36 BST (UK) »
I've been listening, and it's a superb series that really brings the voices of 18th century people alive.

Mike

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 August 14 19:14 BST (UK) »
Just looked on iplayer and there are quite a few past programmes still available to listen to.I think they could be very interesting and I think they are on a Thursday at 21.30
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 August 14 19:36 BST (UK) »
I managed to listen to the one on smuggling because I was driving and it was riveting. Reception of Radio 4 in our house is atrocious, unfortunately, claytonbradley
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline Aulus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The black sheep: Florence Stevenson née Hampson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 August 14 20:23 BST (UK) »
I think this is the second series.

It's excellent - treats the subject intelligently and gives a good insight into the times.
Lancashire: Stevenson, Wild, Holden, Jepson
Worcs/Staffs: Steventon, Smith
East London & Suffolk: Guest, Scrutton
East London: Palfreman (prev Tyneside), Bissell, Collis, Dearlove, Ettridge
Herts: Camac, Collis, Mason, Dorrington, Siggens
Marylebone & Sussex: Cole
London & Huntingdonshire: Freeman
Bowland: Marsden, Noble
Shropshire: Guest

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 August 14 23:42 BST (UK) »
Just looked on iplayer and there are quite a few past programmes still available to listen to.I think they could be very interesting and I think they are on a Thursday at 21.30
Ringrose

I heard the one about shoplifting but it wasn't on during the evening.  We only have Radio 4 on from about 7.30am to 11am at the latest.  I listened to most of the last series but hadn't realised it was back on until the shoplifting one.