Author Topic: Markham family of Keelby  (Read 9565 times)

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
Re: Markham family of Keelby
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 April 11 19:16 BST (UK) »
Have you tried www.familysearch.org ?

They have changed the opening page since I last used it, but if you type in the name you want you will find 4 Willam Markham/ Marcam. You acn probably go from there.

Good luck !!

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 06 October 18 18:47 BST (UK) »
Hello,

This is probably my line of Markhams. I got quite confused a number of years ago, but might come back to this line some time in the future. I am also on the MARKHAM-UK list. I am obviously very interested in this line of Markham. The item below immediately seems to be the right one, but not sure:

<<< WILLM MARCAM Christening: 09 JUL 1587 Keelby, Lincoln, England, Father: THOMAS MARCAM >>>

But the first born son then does seem to be a bit soon though !!!. It would seem that the Robert Markham Chr.:02-02-1614 who m. Ann Swallow would be my line !!!. They seem to connect to Markhams of Broughton by Brigg Lincs etc. I have my 67 markers test done too. Are there any other persons with the surname of Markham (or similar) coming into this line of Markham ?. My grt-grandfather came to Natal in the 1850's, and then in later life was given farms in Southern Rhodesia by Cecil John Rhodes. He was James Frederick Markham (06-12-1829) who m. Elizabeth Meek.

Cheers - Ken Markham (RSA) ....
===========================

My 11x great granddad was Edward Wardell, he was buried 1619 in Keelby. He married Joan Swallow in 1573 in Killingholme.
He had a daughter called Margaret, who was a sibling of my 10x great grandma, Ursula.
Margaret was baptised on 19.06.1576 in Killingholme.
On the 18th of May 1600 in Keelby, Margaret married a Markham.
The original register looks to me a lot like his name was "John Markham", however, the transcription has given his name as: "James Markham."
Margaret was married on the same date and place as Anne Wardell, who married Richard Lake.
Anne Wardell and Margaret may well have been siblings.
However, regarding a baptism for an "Anne, daughter of Edward Wardell.: The Closest I can find is this one in Killingholme, in February 1578:
"Anyis(?) daughter of Edward Wardell."
Anne Wardell and Richard Lake married 1600 in Keelby were the parents of Sir Edward Lake:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Edward_Lake,_1st_Baronet

Thank you.  :) ;)

Offline flee

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 15 June 19 07:05 BST (UK) »
Good evening !!! My grandmother on my dad's side is a Markham, she was meticulous about genealogy records.  Her Markham goes back to Daniel and goes all the way back to Claron de Markham from East Markham.   I am very interested in any other history and info on the Markhams.

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 15 June 19 10:26 BST (UK) »

Welocme to Rootschat !

The link below should take you to a comprehensive website where you`ll find lots of Markhams ! I`m not a Markham; I descend from the Ladley line.

http://www.markham.dk/philip/