Author Topic: Deazely, Tyrone  (Read 5359 times)

Offline Chris Daisley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Deazely, Tyrone
« on: Saturday 30 August 14 03:06 BST (UK) »
Greetings. A First message for anyone linked to this family (the prevalent spelling with variations) from Knocknahorn Townland, Dromore, Tyrone.
My branch emigrated to New Zealand in 1875 and became Daisley by default.
From GRONI (1845 - 1910) it doesn't seem a very common name and it doesn't seem Gaelic either since it is not in the surname books. Possibly Huguenot?
Any pointers appreciated.

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Deazely, Tyrone
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 August 14 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hello, and welcome to RootsChat!

If you haven't already done so, a good way to make surname connections with other members is to enter your surname interests in the Surname Interests Table (SIT), and to check there whether others are researching these names. 

This can be found at http://surname.rootschat.com/ , there is a link to it under "Your Tools" at the bottom of each Rootschat page.

The more people who enter their surnames, the more chance there will be of making a connection!

In the meantime, I will move this thread to the Tyrone board for local interest. ;)

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 August 14 21:34 BST (UK) »

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 August 14 22:04 BST (UK) »

From GRONI (1845 - 1910) it doesn't seem a very common name and it doesn't seem Gaelic either since it is not in the surname books. Possibly Huguenot?
Any pointers appreciated.

The 1901 census for Ireland just has 2 Deazley households, both in Tyrone. (just 6 people) So the name is not common. Both those families were Church of Ireland. Daisley is slightly more common (24 people), nearly all born in Donegal. The majority were again Church of Ireland,  but with some Presbyterians too (indicating Scottish origins). Both religious denominations, and the counties in which the people lived suggest to me that the name was brought to Ireland by settlers, probably at the time of the Plantation (ie 1600s). Some evidently from Scotland, but they may not all necessarily have originated there. English origins are also possible.

Most Huguenots tended to settle in the areas around the east of Ireland (often being associated with the linen industry). I haven’t heard of any settling in Tyrone or Donegal, so I’d be inclined to think that less likely.
Elwyn

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 August 14 22:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    I can find several Deazely marriages and births of two families in Dromore, Co. Tyrone. If you can provide some names and dates I may be able to add some more information.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Chris Daisley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 10:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the helpful answers.
I have a stray snippet saying that Charles DeAzeley bought a bankrupt estate at Corbally, Tyrone in 1685 (which is the year of the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes) and certainly the name of Charles Deazley figures in GRONI - one marrying in a C of I church in Dromore 1862, but also one at the Catholic Church Dromore in 1887. There are, however, no 'Charles' in my family. All James, John, William & Thomas and all Church of Ireland.
I have excerpted all the information for my family from GRONI, though most dates from the time after emigration in 1875, and I wondered if there was any resource for births or deaths before 1864 from parishes (Dromore) on line? I tried Emerald Ancestors but that basically gave the GRONI information.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 10:26 BST (UK) »
Rootsireland has baptisms for 4 Church of Ireland parishes in Co Tyrone on its site. The remainder (probably another 25) are not on-line anywhere, so far as I am aware. Copies of most parish records for Co Tyrone are held in PRONI but a personal visit is generally required to access them. Be aware too that many denominations records have gaps in them, and for the Church of Ireland a significant proportion of their early records were lost in the 1922 fire.
Elwyn

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 12:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    22 Apr 1856 John Deazely married Margaret Parke in Dromore Church of Ireland. They had
1868 Margaret
1870 William
1874 Thomas

20 Mar 1862 Charles Deazely married Mary Bond in Dromore Church of Ireland. They had
1864 James
1869 David
1871 Sarah Anne

There may be more children if you do a parent search on Familysearch site.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 14:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   I did a look-up on Familysearch and sure enough John and Margaret had another daughter, Matilda, in 1865 and Charles and Mary also had Elizabeth in 1866 and Thomas in 1873.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim