Author Topic: Unread posts list  (Read 8095 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Unread posts list
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 21:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Trystan,
Brilliant holiday in Canada - Toronta and Niagara falls, then a few days in the Rockies, ending up in Vancouver and the lovely town of Victoria on Vancouver Island. OH's significant birthday treat!

Back to the unread posts list. I think I've worked it out. I was on Rootschat today until about 5.50 pm, then I had to get birthday boy's dinner ready. Back on a short time ago, and unread posts list just one page, going back to the time I switched off PC. But now I know I can get all unread posts in chronological order, by pressin "all unread posts" button I can just scroll back the last few pages to the time I last looked at them.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 October 14 15:58 BST (UK) »
The old yellow folder denoting topics one has participated in still seems to be missing - will it ever reappear? I too use the unread posts lists as a main point of entry, several times a day, and I often forget the title of a topic I've posted on and fear I may have missed replies. Any chance of this being reinstated as it still is mentioned on the Help page

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 14:56 BST (UK) »
Hiya Steve,

Well spotted - the icon that showed the threads that you participated in has indeed disappeared. We've no plans at present to reintroduce it. We do need to update the help pages at some stage.

You can see the posts you've made by going to Profile > Show Posts.

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 13:44 BST (UK) »
Are we ever going to see the yellow folder for threads that one has posted in return? It is still illustrated in the help section but has not appeared since the re-jig. As someone who accesses Rootschat via the Unread Posts button its absence is particularly annoying as older threads that are added to are usually hard to spot unless the thread title is very very specific

Steve
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 13:49 BST (UK) »
Steve,

I replied to you in the post above - I've merged this topic just in case you missed it.

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 09:57 BST (UK) »
Trystan

Thanks for the information. I'm truly sorry you are not continuing with the yellow folder which I found really useful. Several very old threads have been replied to later on and I would never have picked them up otherwise. This means I now have to go through all the Unread Posts and then trawl through my profile at every visit which will take twice as long at least

Steve
Fook, Snell - Devon

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 10:27 BST (UK) »
Steve

Sorry if I've missed something but have you tried the 'new replies' button at the top of the page instead of 'unread posts'?

That shows all the replies you've had to a topic but have not yet read.

Once you've read them they do disappear from that list.

I've also noticed that entries in your email notifications folder in your profile (only 2 pages) are in date order based on the latest reply.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=notification;u=42083

If you are looking for something a little bit older then there is the 'search' button where you can enter the search term, limit the amount of days to search and use your rc name to reduce the size of the list.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 11:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dawn

I've not used "new replies" but will try it in future. Does it bring up every topic one has posted in rather than just those initiated? I assume it will not interfere with "unread posts".

I don't receive email notifications, so that doesn't apply. The search facility is of no use in the cases I'm referring to as it is not a question of actively looking, but having something from the past brought to my attention where just the title of the thread would not alert me alone.

Thank you for your help in is

Steve
Fook, Snell - Devon

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve

The 'new replies' should give you both, the ones you started and the ones you've joined in.

If you click on the link in my previous post, you will see you've got 2 pages worth of email notifications, the most recent is May 2013. It would appear that since then you have now set your account to 'not receiving notifications'.

For the topics you have still got notifications on, they are also a mixture of those you started and those you joined in.

If you set your account back to receiving notifications, you can leave them set as 'instantly' and you will get an email every time someone joins in and posts which might fill your inbox or you can set them as 'instantly but only for the first reply', in which case you may miss posts if you miss the email, or you can set daily or weekly.

See how you get on with 'new replies', I think the crux of this might be to start getting notifications again if the 'new replies' doesn't work.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea