Author Topic: Please help find these children.  (Read 2413 times)

Offline jacqlineue

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thomasina Garbutt (gt gran) and me aged 7 days
    • View Profile
Please help find these children.
« on: Tuesday 02 September 14 10:12 BST (UK) »
I hope someone can help my cousins friend.

Dear Admin I hope its ok to put on this post Im trying to help someone Is anybody able to help me please? I wrote to a national newspaper missing and found column (persons) only to be told that my story was not interesting enough.

I am trying to trace (*), in 1952-3 were placed in a Childrens Home in Dawlish Devon England called High House. At that time they would be aged between 6 years and 3 years. I was 5years old and lived with my parents in Torquay Devon and I remember that for at least two full summer holidays and perhaps at other times they came to stay with us. I do not know how this was arranged but as an only child I thoroughly enjoyed the time they spent with us. They stopped coming to stay when they were all adopted by the same family who I understand then emigrated to Australia. I do not know the surname of the family that adopted them and I have had no contact at all since then and would really like to know how they have got on over the past 60years.

The photo was taken on Torre Abbey sands Torquay and (*) is standing at the back with (*) on the left (*) in front and myself  on the right.

If anyone has relatives or friends in Australia could they share this or has any knowledge of any of them or their families I would love to hear from them.

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Garbutt Ashington Northumberland,
 Simpson SouthShields,
Clark Northumberland,
Dargue South Shields, 
Atkinson South Shields,
Ellis Tynemouth and Liverpool,
Sadler tynemouth,
Leathley, Routhledge,Forrest.
Herfy Germany,USA and London
Chester London and USA
Hopkins London
Hales London

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Please help find these children.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 10:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Jacqlineue

Rootschat isn't a forum for reconnecting with missing families and in accordance with our policies here, the specific details posted will be removed. Sorry.

When the Australians Chatters wake up and join in, you may get some hints and tips, but there are very strict privacy laws in Australia and the situation isn't helped by the fact that you don't know the surnames they were adopted into.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 11:36 BST (UK) »
Some of the daily newspapers here have columns where you can make a post asking for info.  Won't be so easy with not having the surname but you never know.  You'll need to have a bit of a hunt on the websites to find exact email addresses. Unfortunately there is only one national daily and I haven't seen a column like that in that paper.

Here's some capital city news papers to try:

Sydney
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/

Melbourne
www.heraldsun.com.au

Brisbane
www.couriermail.com.au

Adelaide
www.adelaidenow.com.au

Perth
www.perthnow.com.au

Hobart
www.themercury.com.au

These two women's magazines have real-life features and they may be interested in your story.  I think they have columns with missing persons as well.  These are similar to mags I've seen in UK.

www.thatslife.com.au

http://www.take5mag.com.au/

By coincidence another R'chatter has posted today to say she found a relative through using a newspaper  ;D
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=698113.0

Good luck with it.  judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rudolf H B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • His gt grandchildren KIA on both sides in WW1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 15:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you Judith,

great links!

I am just now on the trace of my living relatives in Australia. The ties had been broken, when their grandmother died in Hamburg 1927 (her son died before his mother).

With BMD & "Family Notices" in Australian Newspapers (via TROVE) I got in touch with a "step" cousin.

Good luck jacqlineue

Rudolf
Goldschmidt; Gregory, Maude, Nancy Price, Welby (UK),
Goldschmidt > Goldsmith, Benetta, Bloom, Gillis, McDonough, Moses, Wheaton (Australia / NZ),
Spatz & Henderson (Greater London),
Herbert Spatz MC > H. Spence MC (Salisbury),
Spatz > Spence, Nichols. Kidd (Bromley > Manchester South, India),
Spatz > Spaatz (Boyertown, PA - USA),
Engel & Joly (Philadelphia, PA - USA).
Kummerer (London, Chicago & Australia).

WW1 - Cousins Killed in Action in the Australian, English, French & German Armies

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Jacqlineue,
   You could try typing all the children's christian names into the keywords on this site
http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/
It gives immigration and arrivals and Immigrant selection index for immigration up to about 1969.

It depends how common the names are ... ?

You could also add migrant as a keyword to cut down on too many hits.
eg Lucy Michael Susan migrant

It should give you the adoptee parents' names and birth dates, arrival etc

regards,
   Ros

Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 00:10 BST (UK) »
http://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-records/passenger-lists-leaving-uk-1890-1960

I would try the same technique as Ros has suggested using the above.
It is a subscription site , but you may have a limited success and decide from there whether to subscribe for more information.

Enter the most unusual children's given name.

You may the  know birth year and departure port etc

Sift results for the other two children matching names and birth year and having   the same arrival date.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 00:32 BST (UK) »
Details of the family you are looking for could also be listed on
http://www.australianmissingpersonsregister.com/FamilyTracingIndex.htm

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 00:52 BST (UK) »
Link says they have been found: http://www.rootschat.com/links/019ty/ 
"Thank you to every one who has tried to reunite me with (*, *, *) I am so pleased to say that thanks to you all that they have been found and I am in touch with them, please let everyone know who has shared thanks to the wonders of the internet. August 20 at 1:02pm"

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 05:33 BST (UK) »
Very good news.  In helping with searching I have come across an interesting link on the NAA site - the link is on the search page:
http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/search/index.aspx

Passenger Arrivals Lists 1897–1963
The National Archives of Australia and Ancestry.com.au have collaborated to offer greater online access to the Fremantle Passenger Arrival Lists collection.

This list seems to include all passengers entering Australia through Fremantle, not just those disembarking in WA.  Lots of immigrants of course.  I even found my husband and his first wife  :D  I'm not sure whether you need an Ancestry sub to access it - it came up for me, but I do have a sub.

Useful resource!  Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk