Author Topic: Maxwell family glasgow  (Read 638 times)

Offline keboz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maxwell family glasgow
« on: Tuesday 02 September 14 18:46 BST (UK) »
I can trace my line back to Margaret maxwell born 1857 in Glasgow. She married an Irish man Joseph Benson on 2 Jan 1882.
My problem is I am getting conflicting information about parents names. I don't have a copy of the marriage certificate but I do know the death certificate lists her parents as George and Esther Maxwell. All other resources I have available have previously listed her parents as Robert and Esther Maxwell.
Does any know where I could get a copy of marriage certificate to confirm and how much it would cost?

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Maxwell family glasgow
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 19:43 BST (UK) »
If they married in Scotland -- you can purchase some units from Scotlands People

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

and actually view the certificate on line. As you know the date -- you can input their names and the year - there should only be one couple I would think.

It will cost you only 6 units altogether. The minimum number you can buy (I think) is 30 units for £6.00. It's quite cheap considering you will have the certificate and units left to search for others!
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 20:34 BST (UK) »
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi keboz

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

All other resources I have available have previously listed her parents as Robert and Esther Maxwell.

A birth here that would fit what you mention https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQDM-J9V

From the link by scotmum, details there to support the above birth entry.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 22:14 BST (UK) »
keboz

Do remember that info on death certificates is only as good as/reliable as the knowledge of the person giving the information but also that, even if their knowledge is 100%, registering a death may be a stressful time for them and they can still inadvertently give wrong details.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline keboz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 01:09 BST (UK) »
Ok so sorted it out.

Her husband died before her so the death certificate was probably not as accurate. I know there can be mistakes on death certificates but I had never seen two very unsimiliar names substituted before.

Her parents are Robert and Esther. I confirmed this through the presence of her younger sister Esther who came to Australia with her and is buried in the same grave.

Thanks for all your help