Author Topic: joesph pelz ww2  (Read 807 times)

Offline L. Pelz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
joesph pelz ww2
« on: Tuesday 02 September 14 22:28 BST (UK) »
PELZ, Joseph "Ruby" Of Tamarack, FL, formerly of Baldwin, NY. Entered into rest July 18, 2009. Beloved husband of Ruth Lipschutz-Pelz and the late Frieda Pelz. Devoted father of Pamela Swartz and husband Fredrick Swartz, George Pelz and his wife Jane Pelz, Susan Kaufman and her husband Jeffrey and Steven Lipschutz and his wife Caryn. Cherished grandfather of Caroline & her husband Alexander, Joshua, Lucas, Dylan, Alexandra, David, Robert, Robin, Ellen, and Lee. Services at the Stanetsky Memorial Chapel, 1668 Beacon St, BROOKLINE on Monday July 20th at 12 Noon. Memorial observance will be at the home of Pamela Swartz following interment Monday until 9 p.m. and Tues. 5-9 p.m. Expressions of sympathy in his memory may be donated to Jewish National Fund, 77 Franklin St., #514, Boston, MA 02110-1527. Born in Western Poland in 1924, Ruby Pelz fought in WWII with the Russian Army and helped liberate Berlin at the wars end. Emigrating to the United States in 1949. He was the owner of Sabra Packing in Baldwin N.Y. until his retirement to Florida in 1984.

I am looking for his birthplace.. father's name.. and mother's maiden name.
I have exhausted all the resources that I know of online.
 I am new at the, so if I did this wrong, I apologize.

thank you
                          leanne

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: joesph pelz ww2
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 19:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Leanne, welcome to Roots Chat.  We are not allowed to post here about people who are living or may be living, so the survivors names will need to be removed if they are not known to be deceased.

Unfortunately, not everything is online.  Options for finding the information you seek include his death certificate, original Social Security application, or his marriage certificates.  Getting these may involve paying a fee.  Do you know where he married his late wife or his widow?

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 19:21 BST (UK) »
On the Social Security Death Index, Joseph's date of birth is given as 21 Jul. 1921.  https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JGG9-Z53  I see an entry on a New York naturalization index that has a Joseph Pelz with that birthdate living in Bronx, NY and being naturalized on 25 Apr. 1955 through the US District Court at New York, NY. 

In a database of Jewish displaced persons/refugees, there is a Josef Pelz with this birth date who was noted as being born in Krakow, Poland.  It says he was living in Bumberg or Bamberg, Ulanenkaserne, and his country of destination was USA.  There is a Josef Pelz who immigrated 21 Feb 1949 to Boston and was headed to Brooklyn.  He appears to have a wife Fredzia and a son with him.

Offline L. Pelz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 September 14 00:50 BST (UK) »
shellyesq.. 
  oh my gosh!!  thank you!  please tell me how the heck you found this info??
I have been searching for weeks!! 

Leanne :)

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 September 14 12:24 BST (UK) »
Some of the information was from subscription sites.  If you live in the US, a lot of public libraries will offer free access to subscription genealogy sites, so that might be something you could check into.

Offline L. Pelz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 September 14 00:11 BST (UK) »
thank you soo much!! you have given me more
info than I have (not) found online in weeks!!

thank you very much!
                           Leanne :)

Offline L. Pelz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 September 14 20:28 BST (UK) »
 can you give me any advice on finding his parents names and the name of his son?

thanks,
                     Leanne

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 September 14 21:01 BST (UK) »
It seems that there are lot of survivors who may know information about his parents or place of origin, so I would recommend contacting them if possible.  Any hint or family story can be helpful in doing research. 

His parents' names may be listed in his death certificate or marriage certificates.  Do you have any of these or know anyone who does?  If not, you would likely need to order them from the state where the event occurred.  Other options for finding his parents include the naturalization records or ordering his original Social Security application (http://genealogy.about.com/od/online_records/a/ss5_request.htm).

The son who was on the passenger list may be one of the ones listed in the obituary if his name was Americanized.  I can send you the information via private message, because we are not supposed to post about living or possibly living people.  If you can modify your original post to remove the information about living folks, it would be helpful.