Author Topic: Francis Hollace Babb  (Read 1752 times)

Offline DCS

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Francis Hollace Babb
« on: Wednesday 03 September 14 09:02 BST (UK) »
Hello, I am stuck with information on the above.  All I have is Francis Hollace Babb born 1865 Marylebone, father possibly George (no other information), who married Kathleen Mundy in Romford in 1888.  They had a son Francis Hollace Babb born June 1926 who married I think May M Allen.  This is the only information I have on the B abbs.  Can anyone help George in the census or anything?  Thanks.
Speller (Thaxted, Prittlewell, West Ham), Thompson (East Peckham, Romford), Wright (Gt Marlow, Romford, Dagenham, Queensland Australia), Cutler (Herts), Channer (High Wycombe), Baker (Romford, Ilford, Stratford)

Offline jacquelineve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Francis Hollace Babb
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 11:33 BST (UK) »
Am I correct in thinking that you have Francis (jnrs) parents names from his birth certificate?

Francis (snr) would have been about 61 yrs old when he was born.

Jackie
Dudley Worcs:Ellis Durkin Oakley Rich Smith
Baggot Saunders Turner Williams Hobbs
Harts Hill: Baggot Wright

Tipton:Whitehouse (boatman) Timmins
Yorkshire:Littlewood Wilcockson
Derbyshire:Wilcockson

Derby Belper:Spencer
Herefordshire Brampton Bryan:-Turner

Worcs. Hereford. Gloucs.
Hodgetts

Radnorshire: Meredith
Bristol Somerset: Box

Census Information is Crown Copyright from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 11:44 BST (UK) »
They had a son Francis Hollace Babb born June 1926

This doesn't look right - Francis and Kathleen's son Francis was registered as Francis Hollis [sic] Babb, Sep qtr 1889 West Ham.

Francis junior seems to have married May M[illicent] Allen in Jun qtr 1926, Wandsworth.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 12:46 BST (UK) »
hi
No  birth registration  for Francis Senior as you know but he seems to have a connection to this family.
Mary Florence Babb born 1872 Bristol married Arthur Hilsden born 1872.They married at Streatham common 27.10.1895 address 7 Greyhound Lane.Father Edward Babb dec labourer.
Francis Hollace Babb is one of the witnesses.The other Ada Hilsden

Mary Florence's  mother appears as Elizabeth Babb born 1838 Taunton 1901 and as Elizabeth Leatherby in 1911,living with the couple.
She seems to be living in the same house as Francis Hollace Babb senior in 1891 as Elizabeth M Babb a 48 year old cook widow from Taunton.
Looking closer it seems Elizabeth Babb was born at Trull near Taunton d of Joel and Elizabeth Babb and married a George Leatherby in June 1860 at Taunton 5c 682.
1861 14 Temple St Bristol
George Letherby 27 haulier Chedder
Elizabeth 23 Trull
James 2 same
Sarah Babb 12 sister in law same.
It does look like Mary Florence and Francis Hollace Babb could be her illegitimate children.
I can't find her or George 1871 or 1881 and there is no latter marriage 1901-1911 to a Mr Leatherby.
Ciderdrinker
ps Just found George on his own in 1871 in Bridgewater lodger labourer.

Offline DCS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

Many thanks for your messages.  No Francis Hollis (Hollace) Babb wasn't born in 1926 - that was when he got wed.  He was born 2889 Woodford.  Thanks, I didn't know the middle name of his wife was Millicent.  And all the info from Ciderdrinker is brilliant and so useful.  Thank you so much.  Much appreciated.  Will look into this further to see what I can find.

Speller (Thaxted, Prittlewell, West Ham), Thompson (East Peckham, Romford), Wright (Gt Marlow, Romford, Dagenham, Queensland Australia), Cutler (Herts), Channer (High Wycombe), Baker (Romford, Ilford, Stratford)

Offline DCS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 19:40 BST (UK) »
By the way, just looked at Francis Babb snr's notes and witnesses to his wedding to Kathleen Mundy Romford 21 May 1888 were William John Babb or William Thom Babb  along with Ada Stephenson.  Would this be the same Ada as Ada Hilsden?

Offline RustyNuts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 August 19 13:57 BST (UK) »
Hi
Just come across this chap whilst looking for Elizabeth Leatherby nee Babb in 1871 and 1881 census.

Has anything further come to light with regard to Francis's birth/parentage? Also drawn a blank with the name "Hollace".  I thought it might have been Hollis or Horace but no luck with either.  Hoped this would link to a particular region and some further clues.

tks

Offline DCS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 August 19 14:41 BST (UK) »
I found a WW1 record for Francis Hollace Babb.  Some pointers:

His name was Francis Hollace Babb aged 44 on enlistment with birth date estimated 1871 - I have his dob as 1864.  It says marriage date was 21 May 1888 at St Andrews Romford which is correct.  Military Regiment: 064075  Residence place:  6 Severns Rd, Clapham Junction

I have another person in my tree who has the same name i.e. Francis Hollis Wright born 1897 Romford.  His mother was Lizzie Mundy, sister of Kathleen Mundy. 

I haven't been able to sort out all the other facts that others on here kindly found.

Diana

Offline DCS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 August 19 14:43 BST (UK) »
PS I don't think Horace comes into the equation at all.  And Hollis seems to be the one version most used.

Diana