Author Topic: Census confusion concerning John Steel, born 1851, son of Mary Steel of Crosby  (Read 6521 times)

Offline sirsimon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Census confusion concerning John Steel, born 1851, son of Mary Steel of Crosby
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 22:32 BST (UK) »
his wife Ellen died in 1924, she is registered as Eleanor B Steele

His daughter Sarah Ann died in 1964 and Ellen Ann died in 1917

What I find interesting is that John's mother Mary Steel born in 1831 in Crosby, after the 1851 census, she vanishes

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Census confusion concerning John Steel, born 1851, son of Mary Steel of Crosby
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 22:47 BST (UK) »
Free BMD show a few deaths for Mary Steel between 1851 and 1861 - no way of knowing if any of those are your Mary  ???

There were some possible marriages between those years - have you checked those out  ???

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline sirsimon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 22:53 BST (UK) »
It wouldn't show the age of death on free bmd, so I wouldn't know which one is my Mary.

Out of all of Joseph and Ann Steel's children, Mary and Joseph are the ones I am having difficulty finding. At least today I found a child for Mary.

For Joseph, born in 1828 in Crosby Cumberland, he is on the 1851 census as a farm servant in Newbrough, Northumberland, but like Mary vanishes afterwards, its puzzling, but that's a whole new post altogether

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 23:01 BST (UK) »
I would think that as Mary was only 20 in 1851 she is likely to have married.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 23:10 BST (UK) »
That's a possibility - could also be under the variation of Steele. One of those brickwalls - that would probably need a visit to a records office to sort through the deaths and marriages.
(Realise its not the area you live in)

Joseph (the brother) belongs to the same family and should be dealt with on the same thread - when we are looking for someone we tend to look through other members of the family, if you keep putting different posts on it means we are all duplicating over and over again by looking up the same records.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline sirsimon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 24 July 15 14:20 BST (UK) »
thanks guys

Thomas is one definately married to Eleanor Blackburn Wallace.

Not sure where his mother Mary went.

She is alive at Hayton in 1851, but because Thomas is with his grandmother in 1861, it is possible she has either died or is living away.

There is a marriage in December 1861 Brampton registration, the marriage is performed after the 1861 census was taken and I cannot find her on that census