Author Topic: Great Staughton - Anthony Handley  (Read 7348 times)

Offline cat12

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Great Staughton - Anthony Handley
« Reply #9 on: Monday 20 October 14 18:55 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Not sure if this may help you but Anth'y HANDLEY is a witness for the marriage of Alexander HAY & Elizabeth SPINK in Kimbolton on Sep 3rd 1778  and Ann HANLY is a witness for the marriage of Lewis HAWKINS & Elizabeth IBBS on May 29th 1797. Both marriages were by licence at Kimbolton, Hunts.

These parish registers are in the process of being transcribed by the Hunts FHS.

As one of the transcribers I can only say that this has been a massive undertaking due to the badly damaged and faded nature of the surviving pages of the early pages.

Good luck with your search.

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Great Staughton - Anthony Handley
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 11:03 BST (UK) »
Many thanks 'cat12' for your contribution to this topic.

The reference to Anth'y Handley doesn't help me much, except that I now know what he was doing on the 3rd September 1778.

The reference Ann Hanly in May 1797 is a big help. She was most probably the Ann Handley baptized at Great Staughton in January 1778.

If this witness was the daughter of Anthony Handley, it supports the theory of 'Dobfam' (previous) that Ann and her mother, Esther, could well have remained at Kimbolton/Great Staughton after the death of Anthony.

If you come across any reference to a Benjamin Handley after 1779, I would be very very interested.