Author Topic: Laurence William Marshall F/O. DFC Killed accidently in a spitfire UK 20/3/1945  (Read 1370 times)

Offline asilky

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My second cousin was a flying officer of a Lancaster Bomber 15th squadron did many raids over Germany Was one of the lucky ones to come back after the raids only to be killed in a accident while flying a Spitfire over England .He had just received a DFC for Courage & Devotion to duty.He had finished his duty and was about to go home .Laurie was 29yrs old married to Nancy.
At request of Mrs Nancy Marshall his DFC was presented to his mother Mrs Ruby Doris Marshall.1 Raglin St Malabar.
On the 24th Feb 1945 a football match against a French team in Batley Leeds and won 20-9 there is a picture in Australian War Memorial you can look it up on Lauries record on that site.It names all UK players.https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/PO7970.001.
scotland england wales australia new zealand
Mealmaker  Pennington/Peninton May Harris Jones Henry

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Laurence William Marshall F/O. DFC Killed accidently in a spitfire UK 20/3/1945
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 September 14 01:34 BST (UK) »
I had a neighbour who was an American who went over the border to Canada, joined the RCAF and became a pilot on Wellington bombers. He too survived and after the war ended whilst waiting to go home he requested to fly a Spitfire and was turned down. He was however offered a Tiger Moth and taking his navigator went joy riding over the English countryside which was at peace again. Your pilot is on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website.

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2651347/MARSHALL,%20LAURENCE%20WILLIAM

Offline asilky

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Laurence William Marshall F/O. DFC Killed accidently in a spitfire UK 20/3/1945
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 September 14 05:08 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thank you for that reply I only wish they had of turned Laurie down as it was a very big loss in our family my mums favourite cousin.
silky
scotland england wales australia new zealand
Mealmaker  Pennington/Peninton May Harris Jones Henry