Author Topic: Penfydyr/Penfedir/LLANDYSILIO/LLANDISSILIO PARISH/Pembrokeshire  (Read 1902 times)

Offline Brownie1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Penfydyr/Penfedir/LLANDYSILIO/LLANDISSILIO PARISH/Pembrokeshire
« on: Friday 05 September 14 18:23 BST (UK) »
Is there anyone local to Llandysilio in Pembrokeshire/Carmarthenshire who has heard of this place-name please?  Asa Davies and his siblings were baptised at "Penfedyr" in the parish of Llandysilio in the early 19th century.  I cannot find the name on any old maps or in an online search.  They later declared the place as their birthplace.  I am just curious to know if it was a farm or perhaps a chapel.  Probably long gone.  Brownie

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Penfydyr/Penfedir/LLANDYSILIO/LLANDISSILIO PARISH/Pembrokeshire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 September 14 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

Not a local  (I'm from North Wales!) but I love maps - could it be Pen-feidr on this map

http://maps.nls.uk/view/102179387#zoom=6&lat=4473&lon=3281&layers=BT

It's on the east side of the parish.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Brownie1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 September 14 16:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Gadget.  Yes, that must be it.  I love maps too, so it's good to see another source to search.  It was certainly worth asking.  It looks as if Penfeidr was just perhaps a house or farm but now I know which part of the parish it was in.  Ironically we drove back from holiday in Pembrokeshire last week, probably just a few miles away from the spot.  Many thanks from South Wales!
Brownie.

Offline Ross Johnson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 February 22 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brownie
My name is Ross K. Johnson and I have been researching my wife’s Davies ancestors for over forty years and I suppose have spent hundreds of hours on them.  It has been great fun.  Her grandfather was John Poynts but born John Davies.  He was illegitimate.  His mother was either Sarah born 1850 or Anne born 1852 both in Mathry Parish, Pembrokeshire and both the youngest daughters of Asa and Eleanor David or Davies.  This is my “brick wall”.  I am currently writing a story of Asa and Elinor and was looking up Penfeudyr Llandifsilio this morning when I was pleasantly surprised to see your posting.  I would be happy to share what information I have collected with you.
Ross