Author Topic: George Kear, or is it William George Kear - Cheltenham  (Read 3306 times)

Offline gwilliams3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Kear, or is it William George Kear - Cheltenham
« on: Saturday 06 September 14 21:45 BST (UK) »
My paternal grand mother, Beatrice Annie Kear's father could be George Kear ( from her birth certificate) or William George Kear ( from her marriage certificate, although he was deceased by then in 1934 ). on both certificates he is listed as Painter / decorator.

I was niggled by lack of finding him on all the census I should.

Then I found a "George Kear" listed as step-son to "Henry Sole"  on the 1901 census. Both are working as house painters.

Ancestry thinks the surname is "Sale", but looks like "Sole" to me.

If this is him, all the other sources I've found are now  suspect.

Does anyone have information and a George Kear or Henry Sole ( Sale ? )  who were painters in Cheltenham ?

My gut feeling is that this is the right person, due to the occupation, but want to be really sure.

I've looked in the directories I have and cannot find a listing, but they could be working for someone else of course.

thanks in advance,

Geoff Williams

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Kear, or is it William George Kear - Cheltenham
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 September 14 22:38 BST (UK) »
Who is Beatrices mother, from her birth cert? Can you use that to find her parents marriage? You might get some more clues to then enable you to work back with her dad.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 September 14 23:00 BST (UK) »
I think the parents were   George Kear and Annie Beatrice Stephens...married in 1904  Cheltenham.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 September 14 23:17 BST (UK) »
unfortunately,,,,The George Kear who married Annie is not at home for the 1911 census,,,,and I cant find him in 1911,,,so no occupation can be seen to crosscheck.

There is a record in the Gloucester Journal 15 February 1902   where a George Kear  a painter,,was sentenced to 4 months hard labour for fraud at Cheltenham.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire

Offline gwilliams3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 September 14 08:43 BST (UK) »
thanks for looking.

Yes, Beatrice Annie's mother was Annie Beatrice Stephens and that line of the family gets interesting as a couple of generations only have their mother's names on the birth certificates!

I also found that George was not at home on the 1911 census.

I think the marriage was in 1904.

The newspaper article is interesting lead, is that online, so I can have a look ?

The key fact that has thrown my earlier research into doubt is the occupation of "painter".

I have just gone back to Annie B's and George Kear's marriage certificate and had a Eureka moment.....

George is shown as a "decorator", his father, Henry as a carpenter, but the important link I had not picked up on, is the witnesses, Fred Kear and  Kathleen Minnie Sole !!!!

I'd linked Fred into her side of the tree, but wondered who Kathleen Sole was, because I had gone down the wrong George Kear route - nobody with a "Sole" surname appeared, so we assumed a friend. Now I have this new "George Kear" it all links in..

Fairly sure this need lead is correct , I have another curiosity.

on the 1901 Census I have George, Ferd and Alice Kear listed as Step-sons/Daughter along with 6 "sole" children - Father Henry Sole ( Ancestry recons it's Sale )

on the 1891 Census, they are listed as Sons/daughter and surname Sole, the "Step" elelment is not recorded. Any views on this ?

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 September 14 10:32 BST (UK) »
It was quite common for children of a previous marriage to be given the name of the new husband.
Sometimes they kept that name others reverted back as in this case.

jim
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 September 14 20:55 BST (UK) »
the newspaper article is on findmypast.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 September 14 21:04 BST (UK) »
so Mary Kear b c 1860  marries William David Sole in 1884  Cheltenham.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 September 14 21:06 BST (UK) »
so maybe George is Marys illegitimate son,,,,and George has just put Henry as his father on his marriage cert ?