Author Topic: Charles Gotts and Susannah Morgan  (Read 14077 times)

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Gotts and Susannah Morgan
« on: Thursday 11 September 14 15:02 BST (UK) »
Hi!
    Can anyone help with any of the following?

I have a Charles Gotts born 1874 at West Hartlepool, Durham, England, son of Henry Gotts and his wife Elizabeth Martindale.

Charles married in 1896 at Easington, Durham, England, Susannah Morgan (born 1880) and had the following children:

Elizabeth Gotts born 1897 Walker Northumberland England

Samuel Morgan Gotts born 1902 England

Charles Gotts born 1905 Springhill Cumberland Nova Scotia Canada

Florence May Gotts born 1907 Canada

Catherine Gotts born 1908 Canada

In 1911 Charles and Susannah were living in New Brunswick Canada with their children and also a lodger, Joseph Dixon aged 42 born England.

I believe Charles Gotts came back to England in 1914 on board the ship Pretoria possibly to serve in the Army? What happened to him after that I do not know, although there is a death registered for a Charles Gotts in 1955 at Gateshead, Durham, England?

Also to add to the confusion, Susannah Gotts is listed as marrying on 9th August 1921 at Sudbury, Canada the above Joseph Dixon.

Can anyone shed any light on if Charles and Susannah divorced, or was she left in Canada by Charles? Also if anyone can shed any light on the children of Charles and Susannah (and possible descendants) much appreciated! :D

Online Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Gotts and Susannah Morgan
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 September 14 15:54 BST (UK) »
I can spot Susanna Gotts in 1921 , listed as a widow , with Charles , Florence and Katie Gotts , Joseph Dixon , and Elizabeth , Rose Ellen and Lilian Russel in Waters Township , Ontario. I can't find Charles on CWGC or Medal Rolls.

NB transcribed Potts
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 September 14 16:01 BST (UK) »
Susanna Gotts returning to Canada arrived 21 Oct 1920 Quebec on Victorian , purpose of trip ' visiting friends in England ' , destined to husband , Charles Gotts , Copper Cliff , Ontario.

I wonder if she went to England to look for him ?

I just noticed that she had Katie/Kathie with her . On the UK incoming list she is going to 34 Hollybush Avenue Wallsend and calling herself wife not widow.

Online Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 September 14 17:17 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Gotts m 1913 William Russell
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KMGH-C7G

Catherine Morgan Gotts m Edward Percival Smart , son Edward Morgan Smart d 1930
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JK4G-D5L

Samuel Morgan Gotts m Myrtle Eglantine Charlotte Stewart 20 Aug 1928 Welland

Florence Gotts m Thomas Mylchrist
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/27DD-BHP

Charles Gotts m Florence Louise Paveling 26 Jan 1927 Welland

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 September 14 17:31 BST (UK) »
Hi!
    Thanks for replying so soon! Much appreciated!

I think the information you sent about Elizabeth, Rose Ellen and Lilian Russel (Russell) may be the children of Elizabeth Gotts an William Russell (Elizabeh Gotts was the daughter of Charles and Susannah Gotts).

I have also been told that Charles Gotts born 1905 (son of Charles and Susannah Gotts) came to England in WW2 and had a child with a lady called Mary Copeland but not sure about this?!

I have only found one child for Edward Percival Smart and Catherine Morgan Gotts (Edward Morgan Smart as you said)>

I don't believe that Samuel Morgan Gotts and Myrtle Stewart had any issue?

Thomas Edward Mylchreest and Florence May Gotts had I believe two sons (?); Wilfred Edward Mylchreest (1924 - 1980) and Samuel Mylchreest (1928 - 2000)?

Any help much appreciated and many thanks for all your help! ;D

Online Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 September 14 18:13 BST (UK) »
According to a tree on A*ry there were also Evelyn Mylchreest 1926 ; David Thomas Charles 1930-2004 ; Susan 1932-2013 ; Rose Ellen 1934- 2008.

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 September 14 19:55 BST (UK) »
Although I can only speculate about why Charles returned to England in 1914, this may help to answer a few possibilities.

www.novascotiagenealogy.com
is an online database of bmd's for Nova Scotia and their are delayed birth registrations for both Charles and Florence M Gotts in Nova Scotia. Both were born in Springhill, NS. There are documents included with the registrations to prove these children were actually born in NS that you may find interesting. There is also the marriage of Elizabeth Gotts and William Russell.

Charles Gotts was a coal miner and it appears he was in Springhill from about 1903/04 until he went to Canning Parish, near Minto NB where he is in the 1911 census. There was a large miners strike in Nova Scotia from 1909 to 1911 the longest strike was in Springhill and several mining families moved on, most to Alberta and the coal fields there.

From the delayed birth registration for Charles, he was in Westville during the school year 1912/1913 aged 7 years, 6 months, 29 days on August 1, 1912. Cannot say whether he was living with his parents or possibly his sister Elizabeth who was married to William Russell. The mines in Stellarton and area would have been up and running by 1912.

From the delayed registration of birth for Florence M, it appears that she may have been baptized in Canning Parish, NB. The document is very faded by some it readable. In 1911, the Gotts family was in Northfield, Sunbury & Queens which is part of Canning Parish, a large coal mining community near Minto, NB.

From one of the ancestry boards, Samuel Morgan Gotts worked as a coal miner (child) in Minto, NB from 1915-1917.

in 1921, Samuel Gotts is on the census as a lodger, coal miner, Copper Cliff town (McKim).

Charles Gotts may have gone back to England looking for work in the coal mines or to enlist in the British army. It is also possible that he was stuck in England after war broke out and enlisted there. It would be surprising if he actually went back to England with the purpose to enlist as enlistment in the Canadian Oversea Expedition started in late summer 1914. Once back in England and if enlisted he would have been in England until at least 1919 unless wounded in battle. Serving as a British soldier he would remain in England to recuperate, if enlisted as Canadian would spend time in hospital in England and then be returned to Canada to recuperate. Being born in 1874 at the beginning of the war would have made him on the older side to enlist in 1914. Working the mines would have been more likely in that given year.

If he and Susan/Susanna were apart for 4-5 years, they would have likely drifted apart. Also, depending on if/when she may have seen him in 1920/21, they may have decied that life apart was better than life together. They may never have divorced and she may have just remarried. That would not have been uncommon. Paperwork was not as common or necessary in 1920 as it is now.

I would get the death registration/certificate for Charles Gotts in Gateshead in 1955 to see if it is your Charles.

FYI
Springhill was a vibrant community in 1903/1904 and hundreds of miners and families came to Springhill with hopes of a brighter future. I was born and raised in Springhill and my husband and I also lived in Westville, NS for 4 years.

Online dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 September 14 13:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There are 2 border crossings from Canada to USA for Charles Sr.

January 24, 1914 port of arrival Detroit, Michigan
Age 38, married, miner
Last permanent address: Sudbury, Ontario
Address of nearest relative: Wife, Susanna Gotts, Westville, N.S.
Destination: Springfield, Illinois, no address

June 14, 1914 port of arrival Detroit, Michigan
Age 38, married, miner, place of birth West Hartlypol, Durham
Last permanent address: Westville, N.S.
Address of nearest relative: Wife Susanna Gotts, Westville, N.S.
Destination: Springfield, Illinois, no address

Springfield is a mining area, and so is Sudbury (Copper Cliff is now part of Sudbury).

Cheers,
DB

Online dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 September 14 13:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Niagara Falls burial information...quite a few of yours listed here Gotts, Mylchreest, Dixon with photos of headstones.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/019zx/

Cheers,
DB