Author Topic: Help needed with Smith, Knockando  (Read 8164 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed with Smith, Knockando
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 26 April 15 23:22 BST (UK) »
Birnie Quine, if you are a great-granddaughter of Jane McDonald, you and I are distantly related. John Sim was my 3rd cousin 3 times removed.

I tried to send you a personal message but you need to have made at least 3 posts before you can use the PM system, so it wouldn't deliver it to you.

Were your best man and bridesmaid DJB and PG? If so, I know who you are and you know who I am!

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Agnes14

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 26 April 15 23:37 BST (UK) »
Did Ann Smith marry?   and do you know what family she had other than Thomas?
Ayrshire:- Wilson, Donald, Pearson, Milligan, Wallace
Surrey:- Langford, Mullard, O'Neill
Special interest:- Loudoun parish

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 26 April 15 23:54 BST (UK) »
Jane McDonald, daughter of Charles McDonald and Ann Smith, was born at Shian Knap, Knockando, on 23 November 1862. She is probably the eight-year-old Jessie Donald in the 1871 census at Shian Knap. I have not looked for a marriage of Charles McDonald and Ann Smith, but I don't think they married because Ann is down as unmarried in the 1871 census at Shian Knap and (I think) at Claypots in Birnie in 1881.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 27 April 15 00:20 BST (UK) »
PS Shian na Cannup was up Glen Arder from Corglass.

See http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=57.4629&lon=-3.4162&layers=5

Shian seems to be from Gaelic 'sėthean', meaning 'fairy hill' (pronounced 'shee-an'); or at least that is what the 19th century map-makers thought. Matheson's Place Names of Elginshire suggests it is from 'sean' meaning 'old', but that is usually pronounced more like a single syllable, something like 'shyan', and it crops up as 'shen' in anglicised names like 'Shenval'.

Matheson also suggests that 'Cannup' is from Gaelic 'cnap', meaning a small hill, in which case the curious-looking place name might be tautological. 'cnap' is usually anglicised as 'Knap' but often pronounced as if the 'n' were an 'r', and with an aspiration before the 'p' (as if you were pronouncing it crahp, and actually saying the 'h').

Offline Agnes14

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 27 April 15 09:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all that information Forforian, I didn't have that although research is just starting out.  Smith is hardly the best name to untangle.  I've had a look on scotlandspeople and couldn't find a record of their marriage.  There is an Ann Smith/Charles McDonald marriage in Strathdon in 1882 but this Ann's parents don't match with the same family.  It makes me wonder now if there are two different families.   Ann of Strathdon is shown as a farmer's widow (Stewart) age 34, da. of William Smith/Mary Calder, our Ann's parents were David S/Ann Grant so we'll need to sort that out.
Ayrshire:- Wilson, Donald, Pearson, Milligan, Wallace
Surrey:- Langford, Mullard, O'Neill
Special interest:- Loudoun parish

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 27 April 15 10:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all that information Forforian, I didn't have that although research is just starting out.  Smith is hardly the best name to untangle.  I've had a look on scotlandspeople and couldn't find a record of their marriage.  There is an Ann Smith/Charles McDonald marriage in Strathdon in 1882 but this Ann's parents don't match with the same family.  It makes me wonder now if there are two different families.   Ann of Strathdon is shown as a farmer's widow (Stewart) age 34, da. of William Smith/Mary Calder, our Ann's parents were David S/Ann Grant so we'll need to sort that out.

Has to be a different Ann Smith. 'Our' one was already 38 in 1871, so would have been 49 in 1882. As I said, I don't think 'our' one ever married, and she certainly didn't marry Charles McDonald as far as I know.

Offline Birnie Quine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 27 April 15 14:26 BST (UK) »
Yes Forfarian, we do know each other, connected through my Duncan line.  Agnes 14, Ann Smith never married though she had three children.  Thomas, as you know, to John Cumming and Jane and Isabella to Charles McDonald.  Jane married John Sim, my line, and Isabella married John Grant.  Jane had 6 of a family and Isabella had 9 - I think - so quite a lot of family out there!  Thomas Smith's grandson, Edward (Ted) 1916 - 1994, who also worked at Glenlossie like his father and grandfather, was the last of the Smiths to live in Birnie.  He and his wife were good friends of my parents.