Author Topic: I am so glad I had a childhood before technology took over  (Read 11467 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: I am so glad I had a childhood before technology took over
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 12 October 14 23:34 BST (UK) »
Hi

My mums dad, my granddad, was born in village called Waleswood near Rotherham Yorkshire in 1866, later moved to Sutton cum Duckmanton in Derbyshire, and died age 91 in 1957 in Clowne Derbyshire when I was seven years old. He never learned to read or write, had been in farming most of his life, and a partime fireman with his sons fighting fires in the Sheffield blitz in WW2 even though he was in his seventies by then. I used to listen for hours to his old tales of his life in the 19th and 20th century, the technology advances through his life time, his grandfathers and his fathers from listening to them when he was a child back in the late 1860's/1870's. My mum b 1908 also used to listen to her Gt granddad tales, past it on to me, she died in 1995 age 87, had being doing ancestry most her life time and I've been doing it over 55 years or 60 years if you count my infant years with granddads tales.

I'd say technology is ever on going ! as my granddad found it from horse en carts days 1800's, Victorian industrial might, Victorian railways lines we still use today, development of telephones, light bulbs, radio, TV, to flying planes and atom bombs dropped on Japan also more !

Granddad saw a lot in his life time and died only 12 years before man walked on the moon in 1969 ;D

:)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline GailS

• RootsChat Senior
  • William ANDREW
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 12 October 14 23:45 BST (UK) »
I have loved reading this thread, as a director of a LDS family history centre it is so sad to see that they are nearly always empty, well at least at ours is. The wonderful lady who I work with has taught me everything I know and I love hearing her stories of the hours she put in to research. It is a delight when someone new comes in and has a passion and desire to get started, sadly a lot of church members are not interested.

Gail.
CORNWALL, Andrew, Whitford, Harris, Jeffery, Blight.
ENGLAND-LONDON, Allingham, Warbey, Alloway, Gunter.
               -NOTTINGHAM, Ball, Lewis.
IRELAND-SWORDS, Rogers, Reynolds.
SCOTLAND, Thomson, Neil, Wilson, McMillan, Weddell,
NEW ZEALAND, All of the above.

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 13 October 14 00:10 BST (UK) »
Possibly slightly "off-topic", but definitely refering to the advance of technology. here in NSW, the Higher School Certificate, English exam is starting today. There has been much complaining from some that the exam has to be written in Shock Horror  "longhand", no computers allowed :o :o :o

Some are complaining that the students writing is illegible, not too suprising as they don't do it.

I find that I can write longhand much quicker than I can type

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 13 October 14 00:35 BST (UK) »
Possibly slightly "off-topic", but definitely refering to the advance of technology. here in NSW, the Higher School Certificate, English exam is starting today. There has been much complaining from some that the exam has to be written in Shock Horror  "longhand", no computers allowed :o :o :o

Some are complaining that the students writing is illegible, not too suprising as they don't do it.

I find that I can write longhand much quicker than I can type

I was sat on a bus last year and some teenages were talking in a mix of hiphop and mobile phone text abbreviated talk in a Yorkshire slang. I think one of them had complained about his tennis elbow with holding his phone to his ear alot or his larger can to his mouth and might need a sicky day off work.  ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 13 October 14 08:19 BST (UK) »
I have loved reading this thread, as a director of a LDS family history centre it is so sad to see that they are nearly always empty, well at least at ours is. The wonderful lady who I work with has taught me everything I know and I love hearing her stories of the hours she put in to research. It is a delight when someone new comes in and has a passion and desire to get started, sadly a lot of church members are not interested.

Gail.

Hi Gail,
I think I mentioned the same thing earlier in this thread. Largely due to the commercial family history sites, the wonderful LDS family history centres are becoming almost obsolete. My usual one has cut back the hours it is open to view a microfilm, and I was talking to a Mormon who came knocking on our door the other day, and he told me there was not such an emphasis on them doing their family history.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline GailS

• RootsChat Senior
  • William ANDREW
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 13 October 14 20:37 BST (UK) »
Shame on him!  :)

We have just had our twice yearly General Conference and one of the leaders spoke just about that, doing family history, telling stories to our children. For me family history and the work we do is all about what the Church teaches. A non member friend asked me what we do in the Temples that are all over the world, I explained briefly and her reply was "oh, you put families together"

It is sad to see the FHC being empty, but it makes it all worth it when someone comes in regardless of their beliefs.

Gail.
CORNWALL, Andrew, Whitford, Harris, Jeffery, Blight.
ENGLAND-LONDON, Allingham, Warbey, Alloway, Gunter.
               -NOTTINGHAM, Ball, Lewis.
IRELAND-SWORDS, Rogers, Reynolds.
SCOTLAND, Thomson, Neil, Wilson, McMillan, Weddell,
NEW ZEALAND, All of the above.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 13 October 14 21:24 BST (UK) »

Gail.

Thank you Gail, that is nice to hear, I am loving reading peoples thoughts too.

The person who helped me start researching is my oldest friend, she is a LDS, so maybe the newer members of your temple don't research now however there are plenty who still do and are prepared to help others do the same. I am just so pleased I was taught to research real records and warned about the 'technology' available back then, that it is a clue only ( IGI) which is exactly the same as the 'collections' and transcriptions online now and to use them as a clue to find the real records.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend