Author Topic: MACKINNON/MCKINNON family in Ettrick Scotland  (Read 3614 times)

Offline LAURIE81

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MACKINNON/MCKINNON family in Ettrick Scotland
« on: Sunday 14 September 14 19:21 BST (UK) »
Im trying to trace my grandfathers family who lived in Ettrick in the Scottish borders. His name was IAN ANDREW MACPHERSON MACKINNON born 13/11/1918 in Ettrick. His mother and father, WILLIAM AND FLORA MACKINNON who married in London, stayed in Ettrick but he grew up in Inverness with FLORA's family. He had two younger siblings who remained in Ettrick. AGNES and a brother. I know AGNES married ALLAN GEORGE THOMSON but have no more information. My granddad never spoke of his family but his children and grandchildren would like to know more.
Mackinnon Macpherson Barron Macleod

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: MACKINNON/MCKINNON family in Ettrick Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 September 14 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hi , welcome to RootsChat  :)

Is the marriage William Mckinnon / Flora Macpherson 4th quarter 1917 Pancras London ?

Only 2 McKinnon births showing in that period for Ettrick Selkirk(shire) , Ian(1918) and Agnes(1923).

Possible marriage for Agnes , 1951 Hawick Roxburgh( http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ )

The Scottish birth and marriage certificates will not be available online as they are too recent , they would need to be ordered.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline LAURIE81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 September 14 18:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the welcome. It is that St Pancras marriage as I have a copy of the marriage certificate. I know about Flora's family and of William's family but only recently found out about Ian's younger sister. He did speak of a brother once but maybe not from that same area. I was hoping to trace any family Agnes and her husband George Thomson may have had. Im visiting a Scotlandspeople Centre to do more research as £15 for the day unlimited access is much better than the credit system and less costly!
Thanks x

Offline tartanvamp76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 November 19 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi, do you have names for William McKinnon's parents? My great great grandfather was a Thomas Duncan McKinnon and lived up the Ettrick, possibly related, he was born 1871. Any info is great thanks.
Pauline

Offline LAURIE81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 November 19 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pauline,
William Mckinnon's parents were Andrew Johnstone Mackinnon (02/10/1832-1915) and Agnes Bell (01/04/1844-10/04/1914).
They had 7 children, Margaret,John,Mary,Andrew,James,Thomas and William.
William Mackinnon (my Great Grandfather) being Thomas Duncan Mckinnon's younger brother (making him my 2nd Great uncle). I don't know why some of the family spelt the surname McK and other Mack, its very confusing when searching for folk!
Andrew and Agnes were married on 07/7/1868 in Whiteknowe in the parish of Hutton. Andrew and Agnes were both born in Dumfries. They lived for a few years in a cottage in an area called Cossarshillfoot in Ettrick. I have been to the cottage and its quite nice albeit a bit small for a large family. They then moved to the Thirlestane estate where they lived in one of the lodges. They both stayed there for the rest of their lives.
I have found quite alot of information on the ScotlandsPeople website but I found out a great deal more by visiting the area. My Ancestry tree has the whole family.
Saying that, the information I have on your Great grandfather is sparse. I have a Nellie listed as his wife and a son named Andrew but I have been unable to confirm this information. 
It would be great to hear back from you and exchange notes!

Laurie

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 May 20 20:07 BST (UK) »
Laurie81 here is one to start you off. I will look for others and come back to you.  this is Ettrick Cemetery which I transcribed.
166 In loving memory of AGNES BELL wife of ANDREW McKINNON who died at Thirlstane East Lodge 10th April 1914 aged 70yrs also the above ANDREW McKINNON who died at Clarlilaw Cottage St.Boswells 9th Nov 1915 aged 83yrs.

both places of death aRE NOT IN ETTRICK.
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 May 20 20:20 BST (UK) »
LAURIE81 FOUND ANOTHER IN ETTRICK AS FOLLOWS
185 Cross. In memory of JOHN McKINNON born 1871 died 1946 for 50years gardener at Thirlestane and of MARY his wife born 1866 died 1951. R.I.P.

BEING THIRLSTANE I THOUGHT YOU MIGHT LIKE THIS. THERE ARE NO MCKINNONS IN YARROW.
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders