Poll

If you were born at Colinswood maternity home, what which of these periods was it?

1940 to 1944
1945 to 1949
1950 to 1954
1955 to 1959
1960 or later

Author Topic: Colinswood Maternity Facility, Common Farnham Royal, United Kingdom  (Read 5120 times)

Offline Carolbam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Colinswood Maternity Facility, Common Farnham Royal, United Kingdom
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 07 April 19 12:01 BST (UK) »
This has been the only photo I could find (so far)  ... date at end of subscription at bottom ..  taken in 1936

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 07 April 19 12:07 BST (UK) »
I never saw it despite living in Hedgerley 1958 to 1981. Looking at the satellite image of the area, great deal of luxury property development in the meantime. 
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline HGUOLS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 16 October 20 21:32 BST (UK) »
Carol, do you have a scanned version of the photo of the Colinswood Maternity House? I can't read the text at the bottom of the photo you posted and assume it is the Colinswood Maternity House. Is it? Any idea of the year the photo was taken and its source? I would like to show it to my mother who is now in her 80s. Thanks.

Just after posting this I see you had replied awhile back. So 1936. Do you have the source of the photo?

Offline HGUOLS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 16 October 20 22:17 BST (UK) »
Since links sometimes go bad or are not maintained I recommend getting map coordinates since those do not change:

Colinswood House
Collinswood Rd, Farnham Common, Slough SL2 3LN, UK
51.566841, -0.616364

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 October 20 08:36 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know the exact location (address) of this former maternity home? Does the building still stand? I was born there in 1953.

You can see Colinswood on the old maps at http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html?coords=495992,186218
Aerial view of present Collinswood House http://binged.it/1pggvBh
Stan

This is the new link to the old maps site https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/495992/186218/12/101175
You do not have to subscribe, just change the zoom level with the - in the top left corner.
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HGUOLS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 18 October 20 01:51 BST (UK) »
Stan, thanks for the map link. I took a look at the maps as much as possible without having to subscribe and was able to glean some results. There is clear evidence that buildings came and went. I think if I can get proof of building permits from the governing body it will confirm parts of the story of Colinswood Maternity Home. The maps I put into a PDF but it is too large to post. I will try reducing the size.

Offline John Clemens

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 13 January 22 08:36 GMT (UK) »
I'm so moved to rediscover the place I was born: Colingwood House. Icy, snowy day 14 Nov 1947. I saw a pic online of the front door entrance with staff on steps. I think the same place features on a photo of mum and me (invisible in bundle of wrappings!). I will try to find it. Thanks everyone.