Author Topic: Robert Ford & Elizabeth Boyd, Scotland to New Zealand  (Read 3788 times)

Offline Sarah R B

• RootsChat Extra
  • Obsessed...
    • View Profile
Robert Ford & Elizabeth Boyd, Scotland to New Zealand
« on: Tuesday 16 September 14 22:43 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on both Robert Ford and Elizabeth Boyd. Both were born in Scotland, then immigrated to New Zealand. They married in Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand on September 16, 1862. They had six children: Janet Ford, James Henry Pringle Ford, Mary Jane Ford, John Archibald Ford, William Fitzsimmons Ford, and Robert Ford.

My direct ancestor is Mary Jane Ford, who left New Zealand in the 1890s, and ended up in California where many of her descendants, including me, continue to live.

I have looked for clues about other family who may have traveled to New Zealand as well, perhaps even with the surnames Pringle or Fitzsimmon. I've pored through passenger lists, newspaper columns, and NZ historic vital records, but haven't been able to come up with much related to their history.

In addition to these things I am also interested in connecting with other descendants/relatives of theirs.

Thank you,
Sarah
San Diego, California
Lots but here are a few: Bouscaren, Emerson, Peterson, Gourley, Finley/Fenley, Van horn, Ford, Boyd, Mussaw/Mousseau, Monette, Freiberger, Crandall, Barry, Nellis, Ritzenthaler, Lechleiter...

Offline ennael

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Ford & Elizabeth Boyd, Scotland to New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 23:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,
  Have you tried searching:
http://www.archway.archives.govt.nz/

Leanne

Offline Sarah R B

• RootsChat Extra
  • Obsessed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 23:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Leanne,

I just did, thank you. Wow! Lots of documents in there. Do you know if all their documents have to be viewed at an office in New Zealand? All of the ones I looked at did, which is tough from so far away...

In my research I did come across genealogical societies in New Zealand who can help with research, but I'm trying to do as much as I can without spending more than I am already.

Thank you very much for the link, I will add it to the small collection I have going :)  I also have a wish list of documents, which I'll to as well thanks to you.

Sarah
Lots but here are a few: Bouscaren, Emerson, Peterson, Gourley, Finley/Fenley, Van horn, Ford, Boyd, Mussaw/Mousseau, Monette, Freiberger, Crandall, Barry, Nellis, Ritzenthaler, Lechleiter...

Offline Sarah R B

• RootsChat Extra
  • Obsessed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 October 14 07:09 BST (UK) »
I received a copy of Elizabeth's death certificate today, and I'm not able to figure out where in Scotland this place is that she was born. If you can help decipher the writing I will really appreciate it.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 October 14 07:43 BST (UK) »
Could it be?

Galashiels is a burgh in Selkirkshire on the Gala Water river. The name is often shortened to "Gala". Galashiels is a major commercial centre for the Borders region.
(Source Wikipedia)

+
The part of the town on the west bank of the Gala lies within the historic county of Selkirkshire, while the east bank belongs to the historic county of Roxburghshire. 
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/223777/Galashiels

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 October 14 07:47 BST (UK) »
Hi

There is indeed a town called Galashiels in the Scottish Borders, in the historic county of Selkirkshire. Do you have any idea of a birth year for Elizabeth Boyd ?. The only possible baptism I can see in Galashiels is for a Betsy Boyd in 1831.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 October 14 08:08 BST (UK) »
Hi William, greetings from Sydney!

A Family Tree has her born c 1844.
But Death Reg seems to have her age 52 when she died 1892 (NZ BMD) so 1840ish.

Anyhow her NZ Death Cert that Sarah now has should have a wealth of into on it, Parents Names etc.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Sarah R B

• RootsChat Extra
  • Obsessed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 October 14 16:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you Trish & William. I did find that tree with the 1844 date, but with the information from her death certificate, I think it actually was closer to 1840.

Details:
Date of death: 20 Nov 1892
How long in New Zealand: 31 years
At what age married: 22
If Issue living, state number, age, and sex: 4 male, 2 female
29 F
27 M
25 F
22 M
20 M
18 M

The certificate did list her father's name (James Boyd), but unfortunately not her mother's.