Author Topic: Best DNA testing  (Read 892 times)

Offline Erin2012

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Best DNA testing
« on: Thursday 18 September 14 21:37 BST (UK) »
I imagine this has been asked before...

What is the best DNA test to take? I have friends that have taken one through National Geographic, so I was considering that one (actually my brother will take the test)...

But are there others that are better, compariable but cheaper, return more info than others... Etc.
Keane (Westmeath)
Ledwith (Longford/Westmeath)
Gray (Sligo)
Eustace (Louth)
Frost (Suffolk)
Farrar (Yorkshire)
La Favor/Lefebvre (Quebec)
Mineard/Maynard/Mainard/ Maynord (Wiltshire/Monmouthshire)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Best DNA testing
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 September 14 22:09 BST (UK) »
The way to approach it is to decide what you want to know eg YDNA, mtDNA or autosomal and in what depth. Also if you want to connect with others who may share some or all DNA matches with you.

Once you have decided all the above then you can start to look at what companies provide what and therefore is best tailored to your needs

Perhaps if you gave a brief anonymous indication of what you are looking to find \ confirm then someone could give more information
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Erin2012

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 September 14 20:44 BST (UK) »
Yikes! I am realizing I dont have a clue about it at all!

Ok Google... Work your magic!
Keane (Westmeath)
Ledwith (Longford/Westmeath)
Gray (Sligo)
Eustace (Louth)
Frost (Suffolk)
Farrar (Yorkshire)
La Favor/Lefebvre (Quebec)
Mineard/Maynard/Mainard/ Maynord (Wiltshire/Monmouthshire)

Offline DevonCruwys

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 September 14 04:34 BST (UK) »
The answer very much depends on which lines you are researching and what you might hope to find out. You might like to have a look at the beginners' articles that are linked from this page in the ISOGG Wiki:

http://www.isogg.org/wiki/Beginners%27_guides_to_genetic_genealogy

They explain about the different types of tests, and perhaps that will help you to decide which test is most suitable for your purposes.
Researching: Ayshford, Berryman, Bodger, Boundy, Cruse, Cruwys, Dillon, Faithfull, Kennett, Keynes, Ratty, Tidbury, Trask, Westcott, Wiggins, Woolfenden.