Author Topic: Harold Tower  (Read 6144 times)

Offline JOHNNIE

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Harold Tower
« on: Friday 19 September 14 15:37 BST (UK) »
Hi, My G.G Grandmother worked at the above property prior 1827, can anyone advise me on the history of this property, ie; was it a farm - any pointers greatly appreciated

JOHNNIE

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: HAROLD TOWER
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 September 14 16:50 BST (UK) »
Harold Towers was in Douglas.
It was a indiviual House.
I am no good at shrinking links but I googled (harold tower, isle of mann) and the 1st entry that comes up is mentions it.
(at the very bottom of the page in small letters)

Then I found this;
http://www2.iomtoday.co.uk/hosted/iomimages/Central%2059.htm

There are several other entries including refs to who lived there at various times.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline JOHNNIE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 September 14 17:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish and thank you for your reply and the lovely photos.  It looks a lovely house, I hope she was well looked after.

I shall try to get the entries of the residents, havent been successful as yet

Thank again
JOHNNIE

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 September 14 21:38 BST (UK) »
see Historic homes of the IoM Isbn 0-9516846-1-2 pub 1990 (usually still available) built 1833 for James Newton (liverpool shipper but then of Cheadle Heath cheshire) - from deeds May 1837 would appear to have sold it to S A St John who then sold on to High Bailiff (stipendary magistrate) James Quirk in Jan 1838 - a later famous resident was painter John Martin who d there in 1854 - the article had 3 pics one outside similar to that found + two interior shots (possibly taken from Manx Life where several of articles in book initially published

are you sure re pre 1827? -- ?1927?
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline JOHNNIE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 September 14 17:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you Frances for your informative reply.  The info on Harold Towers was passed on to me from a distant relative, now with your reply I can see how wrong we are!  Our ancestor in question apparently passed away in 1826......  (It's always worth checking the facts)

Thanks again, it made very interesting reading and maybe we are on the right track just the wrong generation.

JOHNNIE

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 September 14 18:26 BST (UK) »
who is the relative - maybe others can help

Offline JOHNNIE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 September 14 18:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Frances - You may remember Eric Gelling helping me a few years back - William Kewley illg son of Lucy Craine and Edward Kewley, Lucy married John Quay - but we are now interested in finding more on Edward, not an easy task for a novice like myself - I reckon he was born abt 1799 because Lucy was and that is as much as I have!  I had thought it was Lucy who worked at Harold Towers but according to my relative it was her Father Robert who I think passed away in 1826..

Unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you view things (!)  I have been busy working and so have picked up the thread again after a long break.

Any pointers greatly appreciated - JOHNNIE -

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 September 14 19:20 BST (UK) »
the Vicar and wardens of Braddan seem to have had no interest in presentments for fornication - usually none reported at this period so you don't know what parish he came from - I presume that as Lucy later married in Braddan both she + Edwd Kewley were resident in that area (eg Douglas, Braddan + Onchan) - in 1841 there are two Edwd Kewleys in Douglas - a 40yr old in Fair ground h/o Deborah Quayle and 35 yr old Edward gardener in fort st

there are some 4 or 5 born within suitable years around Douglas - one that married within a few yrs of birth of Wm married an older Cath McClure and can be found as publican at Ballagraue cottage in Marown in 1841 - his youngest dau was named Louisa (any clue?) - can't find him in 1851 tho

If you want any further help try www.isle-of-man.com/genealogy/messageboard/index.pl - this board seems to want to place trackers for Facebook on every message I see

Offline JOHNNIE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Harold Tower
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Frances and once again for your reply and advice.  Sincere apologies for late reply - my Internet Supplier doesnt alway repond to my tender touch - very annoying!   ::)

JOHNNIE