Author Topic: Harold Tower  (Read 6139 times)

Offline Terrijoy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harold Tower
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 July 18 20:20 BST (UK) »
I am new to this website and am very excited to see  so many talking about Harold Tower..my grandfather grew up in that home..he was 1 of 13 children born to Richard Ellis Holroyd and wife Charlotte E,C Bridson..I have quite a bit of information and some pictures..my favorite picture is of all the family posed on the steps of Harold Tower..would love to hear from everyone about my family and perhaps they are part of your family also...
Thank you
Terri Shriver Taylor
taylorterri1@gmail.com

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 July 18 17:27 BST (UK) »
Richard Ellis Holroyd + family would appear to have moved to Island c.1882 - they are still in Adlington Cheshire in 1881
 but there is a registered birth of Ruth Holroyd in Douglas 3rd June 1883
Richard + Charlotte are buried in Marown tho noted in burial register as of Douglas Richard age 53 in 1901 and Charlotte age 45 in 1893
Also buried in Marown is Arthur Holroyd age 14 killed by falling from a bicycle over South Quay Douglas and noted as from Hope Lodge
and also Lilian Blanche age 31 noted from Cardiff but late of Douglas - all probably in same grave

Hope Lodge is near the Foxdale mines in the road from Eiry Dam to the Braid not far from where today's Manx Radio masts are

Charlotte would appear to have been daughter of Robert Bridson a printer on South Quay in 1861 born Kk German
wife I think was Margt Clucas
Robert was I think son of John Bridson + Elinor Cottier (they m 1811 Kk German)
in 1841 the family headed by widowed Elinor were in Fancy St Douglas (a most misnamed street! as demolished as a slum later in 19th C0
John I think was buried 1836 age 49 - there was a decree granting admin of his goods to his creditors
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline Terrijoy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 July 18 17:48 BST (UK) »
Frances,,,thanx so much for the info..some I had and some is new..