Author Topic: James Henry John Hayes  (Read 2568 times)

Offline gloworm45

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Henry John Hayes
« on: Wednesday 24 September 14 23:07 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if anybody could help me to find out anything about my Great Grandfather James Henry John Hayes. He was know by James Hayes. Apparently born out of wedlock around 1886 in Weston Super Mare, Somerset, England. At 8 years old he was sent to work in the coal mines and he stayed there apparently till he was 13 years of age. He hurt his back there and it bothered him throughout most of his life. He came to Canada around 1911. He died in Canada in 1962. I would like to know his mothers name and any half brothers and sisters he may have had. I was told he had 1 half brother and 2 half sisters. He married Florence Cross about 1908 or so. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: James Henry John Hayes
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 23:45 BST (UK) »
His birth reg is on freebmd but spelt a bit differently and is as per the GRO index entry.  The H is not a mistranscribed J according to the index

Births March qtr 1886   
James Henry H Hayse     Chard  5c   418

A copy of his birth cert will give you his mothers name

This is his marriage reg

Marriages June qtr 1907       
Florence Cross        Tiverton    5b   863    
James Henry J Hayes     Tiverton    5b   863
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 23:48 BST (UK) »
He is fully documented on ancestry.com with birth, marriage and death details. For Copyright reasons (it is a pay to view site) I really cannot give much more information but perhaps you can get ancestry,com at your local library. Use his full name to search for him. Not the version he was registered under.

This looks like his daughter:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FMHQ-J7Q

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 September 14 00:08 BST (UK) »
He is mentioned on many trees on Ancestry - but born in Buckland St Mary, Somerset and not W-S-M?! ::)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline gloworm45

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 September 14 17:45 BST (UK) »
Thank You for the help on my Great Grandfather James Hayes. I saw where his mother's name was Mary and she married, but I don't know who she married and I believe she had 3 more children, a son and two daughters. His daughter was Nola as mentioned, and she was born 1 month after his wife came over to Canada with 3 other children. He came over about 5 months before his family came over. Apparently it was a cattle ship he came on and he worked his way over. He was a very hard working man and raised a big family. I do have a subscription to Ancestry.ca so I will check under the place that he was born that has been quoted because I was checking under a different birthplace. I would like to know who his mother married if you could help me there I would be very grateful. He still has a daughter living in Canada but she is 93 and can't remember some things. but she helped me with a quite a bit of information.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 September 14 22:36 BST (UK) »
I saw where his mother's name was Mary

Not according to one of the trees

Marriages December qtr 1876   (>99%)
Jane   Cooper/John Hayes     Runcorn    8a   361    

www.cheshirebmd.org.uk show it as a civil marriage

If the tree owner bought a copy of the 1886 birth cert then their research can be trusted.  However - the tree shows his full birthdate as 7.12.1886 whereas his birth was registered in the March qtr 1886

It may be a typo and mean 1885 as it was not unusual for births in December to be registered after Christmas in which case they would show as registered in the March qtr of the following year
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 September 14 22:45 BST (UK) »
There is another problem with the info in that tree - in 1891 the family are still in Cheshire with all the alleged "siblings" of James Henry John shown on the tree but with one major problem.

In 1891 he is JOHN Henry and born Cheshire - not Somerset ???

You need that 1886 birth cert

Offline gloworm45

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 September 14 17:21 BST (UK) »
He was born out of wedlock so his mother could not have been Jane Cooper. It would have to be Hayes. I saw where his mother's name was Mary Hayes on his baptism, I believe. I don't know who she married after he was born.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 September 14 17:32 BST (UK) »
I agree that the tree owner has not researched properly which is not unusual.

Where did you see his baptismal entry with his mothers name as Mary as there is nothing online and it wasn't mentioned in your opening post?  What date was he baptised and where?

Apparently born out of wedlock around 1886 in Weston Super Mare, Somerset, England

Otherwise you will need to invest in a copy of his birth cert to confirm she was Mary before looking for any marriage