Author Topic: brand new at genealogy  (Read 2893 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: brand new at genealogy
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 September 14 07:38 BST (UK) »
I think you should start at the beginning with what you know for sure.

Maddys52 is right. And the beginning is as near the present day as you have proof for, perhaps your grandparents, and this may involve buying a few birth & marriage certificates [get them from GRO online, at £10 each they are cheaper than anywhere else]. Why don't you let us know what is CERTAIN [not naming any living people of course] so we can trace backwards with confidence. It's the most efficient way!!

Josey
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Green Gables

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 27 September 14 01:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks Maddys52 and Josey.
I have a grandfather Alan Paul Taylor who married Hazel Hulse. I'm not sure where or when they were born (I suspect that Alan was born in England and came to Australia as a child, but could be wrong). Alan's father was Arthur Taylor (b. somewhere in England on 21.05.1880).

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 September 14 07:50 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat from me too.

You need to purchase your grandfather's marriage certificate which should give you both of his parent's names. I think it might also give his place of birth. Unless you are sure of all of your grandfather's details there is no way you can go further back in time.

His death certificate, if he is deceased, should give you similar information, but sometimes the informant may not know, in which case the information provided on the d/c is only as accurate as the informant's knowledge.

How do you know Alan's father's is Arthur and how do you know his date of birth? Do you know who Arthur married? If so, can you let us know? If he is from England and married there we can try to find his marriage. With such a common name we need to know Arthur's wife's name - as it is necessary to pair up the correct couples.

You have to work back systematically and purchase relevant certificates along the way.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 27 September 14 09:33 BST (UK) »
Unless you have other information that you haven't mentioned, I'm not sure how you have managed to get back to William Taylor in the 1700s. If you don't know where Arthur Taylor was born how have you managed to connect him with his father?

.  I seem to be going around in circles, and everytime I think I have found something, the dates or names of siblings etc don't match up. I started gathering these names and families of all every William Taylor I found (assuming they were probably cousins)....but now I seem to only be moving sideways in my search. 

I think as others have said, you need to perhaps start again and work backwards step by step checking everything with certificates and census. You are working with a very common name and they will not all be connected and related to the same family.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 27 September 14 10:00 BST (UK) »
Assuming that Arthur Taylor was born in 1880 as you say, checking Freebmd for births registered for Arthur Taylors in 1880, there are well over 100-150. So how ever to find out which is yours?

Generally, with less common names, we would go to the 1881 census to see if we can locate the correct Arthur Taylor as a 1 year old, using various things such as parent's names, place of birth, father's occupation, siblings, etc ... However with your Arthur Taylor we have absolutely nothing to identify him apart from an exact date of birth., and there are hundreds of Arthur Taylors.

To me, it is strange that you know his exact date of birth but not his place of birth.  :-\

Do you have any certificates at all for any of these Taylors?

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 28 September 14 07:19 BST (UK) »
I have a grandfather Alan Paul Taylor who married Hazel Hulse. I'm not sure where or when they were born (I suspect that Alan was born in England and came to Australia as a child, but could be wrong). Alan's father was Arthur Taylor (b. somewhere in England on 21.05.1880).

I haven't a clue where you are getting your information from but your grandfather Alan Paul TAYLOR was born in NSW & died in QLD:

Birth:
Alan P TAYLOR b. 13/08/1916 WARATAH #28153
Parents: Arthur & Lily

Death:
Alan Paul TAYLOR d. 23/08/1992 HERVEY BAY

Burial:
Alan Paul TAYLOR bur. 24/08/1992 War Section, Polson Cemetery, Point Vernon, QLD

Photo:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01a94/

Details:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01a93/

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 28 September 14 07:27 BST (UK) »

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 28 September 14 07:28 BST (UK) »
Excellent information Merlin! :)

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 28 September 14 07:40 BST (UK) »
Your grandmother Hazel Margaret HULSE was born c. 1925 in QLD.

Her parents Henry Philip HULSE & Lillian THOMPSON were married 23/03/1922 QLD #B29728
https://www.qld.gov.au/law/births-deaths-marriages-and-divorces/family-history-research/

Death:
Hazel Margaret TAYLOR d. 04/08/1964 QLD #B67697
https://www.qld.gov.au/law/births-deaths-marriages-and-divorces/family-history-research/

Burial:
Hazel Margaret TAYLOR 39yrs bur. 06/08/1964 TOOWONG Cemetery
https://online.brisbane.qld.gov.au/cemeteries/cemeteries_step3.jsp?mapdisplay=172920