Author Topic: John Goldie b 1797 Tynron  (Read 7806 times)

Offline Maggie Speak

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Goldie b 1797 Tynron
« on: Friday 26 September 14 09:24 BST (UK) »
Hello all, I am trying to confirm the death of John Goldie b 1797 (parents Jame Goldie and Ann Gault) who possibly died in 1821. I've sighted a website which suggests the info came from a headstone in Dumfriesshire. The exact wording is   Name: John GOLDIE
Born: 25 SEP 1797      at: Tynron, Dumfries, Scotland FHL Film 1067971 
Married:                  at:   
Died: MAY 1821       at: Isle 
Could any kind person confirm where this headstone might be? I'm in Western Australia and therefore cannot check for myself. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks Maggie

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John Goldie b 1797 Tynron
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 October 14 23:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Maggie,

I see there are many variations of John Goldie’s life on the internet!  Most people seem to go for the 1881 London death, has this been confirmed in any way?

Had a look at the Dumfries cemeteries but he’s not there: http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~scottish/D-GInscriptions.html
Although headstone photographs are available online for other areas of Scotland, I don't know of any for Dumfriesshire, perhaps someone else may be able to comment.  You may find some useful links to local resources at the beginning of the Dumfriesshire board.

I can also see your reference to the 1821 death at:
http://i-83-67-41-189.freedom2surf.net/fam46374.htm
Perhaps if you e-mail the site owner directly he could clear up the mystery.

brigau

Offline Maggie Speak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 October 14 01:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Brigau,

I'm not convinced the death in 1881 is correct for the John Goldie born Tynron 1797. I believe this record to belong to an upholsterer who lived with his daughters Martha and Mary and sister Magdalene. Certainly the census records would suggest this. I've pretty much exhausted all the other possible deaths recorded as coming from other Goldie families.

"My" John Goldie married Sarah Ann Peart in 1820 in St Dunstans Middlesex and baptised 2 sons John Henry and Thomas Joseph in 1824 in Shadwell Middlesex. He was recorded as a Mariner at the time. I have a record of a Sarah Ann Goldie (widow) marrying a John Smith in Shadwell in 1826 which might suggest John Goldie died around 1824/25.

I will email the website owner who records his death as 1821 again and see if he can give me more information and will post back here. It would be lovely to clear this up once and for all  ;D

Cheers
Maggie

Offline Darlene1937

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 04:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Maggie, re Thomas Joseph Goldie & Ann Moran, they were my maternal grandmothers parents.  My information on his father was that he died June 1881 in London, this info comes from the family tree of a person called Joyce ??? sorry can't be of much help, I am located in Victoria, hope you have success in finding more information,   kind regards Darlene

Offline Maggie Speak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 05:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Darlene,

thanks for your reply. Thomas Goldie and Ann Moran are the 3rd great grandparents of my husband. We are in Western Australia. I am not convinced that Thomas's father died in 1881 as his will, backed up by the census suggests that he was an upholsterer, not a mariner as he was listed when he married Sarah Ann Peart. Thomas was also a mariner before settling in Victoria.

I will keep searching for a connection back to the Goldies of Tynron as this is the only puzzle piece ;D I'm yet able to verify. It all hinges on Thomas's father. ;D

Offline Darlene1937

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 August 18 06:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Maggie, was wondering if you are maggie1912 from ancestry as I recently sent an email on Thomas Goldie ?? family history is very interesting ...kind regards Darlene

Offline Maggie Speak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 August 18 08:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Darlene,
yes that's me, but I've not received any Ancestry messages from you... I have a public tree on that website, but also a separate private tree which has all the records on it that validate my research findings. Are you looking for a particular record? I'm happy to share if I have it  :)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 August 18 12:30 BST (UK) »
Hello all, I am trying to confirm the death of John Goldie b 1797 (parents Jame Goldie and Ann Gault) who possibly died in 1821. I've sighted a website which suggests the info came from a headstone in Dumfriesshire. The exact wording is   Name: John GOLDIE
Born: 25 SEP 1797      at: Tynron, Dumfries, Scotland FHL Film 1067971 
Married:                  at:   
Died: MAY 1821       at: Isle 

Hello Maggie

Have you considered his Death (if elsewhere) might be recorded on a local Family Memorial Inscription - where he was born, at TYNRON?

Not seen, but found this online ...
TYNRON GRAVEYARD
Erected to the Memory of
James GOLDIE, late of Stenhouse, who died at Glencrosh November 1839
Ann GAULT his wife, who died at the Manse, Kirkgunzeon, January 1818
John GOLDIE his son, who died at the Isle May 1821
Alexander GOLDIE, H.E.L.C.S., who died at Tata, East Indies, November 1839
James GOLDIE their son, who died at Knackauchle May 1860
Also Jean GOLDIE their daughter, widow of James DICKSON, late of Glengaber,
who died at Glasgow December 1878

Perhaps contacting the Archives at Dumfries and ask them to check the above Memorial Inscription, with their M.I. records?

Mark

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 August 18 14:25 BST (UK) »
Not sure what you already have on Johns Parents/Siblings?

FreeREG has children to JAMES/ANN Goldie Tyron;
Ann nee Gault/Galt/Gall
Baptisms below, actual entries also have birth dates;
MARGARET 21 May 1787
JAMES 5 Nov 1788
WILLIAM 16 Oct 1790
JEAN 16 Feb 1792
MARY 10 May 1793
JOHN 1 Oct 1797 (birth 25 Sep 1797)****
ANN 9 Sep 1799
ALEXANDER 10 Apr 1801
Last 3 have abode as Ford, others Stenhouse

JAMES Goldie was likely born there also;
Baptised 8 Feb 1764 (birth 6 Feb 1764) to JAMES/MARGARET Goldie nee RIDDELL
They married 13 Sep 1762 Tyron

Burials Tyron;
JAMES Goldie 30 Nov 1839 age 75 years/10mths

Trish :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)