Author Topic: Charles Norman Farish b Closeburn 1856 died Liverpool 1921  (Read 5529 times)

Offline tonybonsai

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Norman Farish b Closeburn 1856 died Liverpool 1921
« on: Friday 26 September 14 19:58 BST (UK) »
Any descendants out there, particularly in Liverpool area of Charles Norman Farish born Closeburn , Dumfries in 1856. At Everton, Liverpool in 1883 he married Janet Burgess Seaton McMinn born Ruthwell, Dumfries in 1861. They had a largish family which included daughter Margaret 'Mags' Farish born about 1904.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYYB-SL9

Offline 19dc60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Norman Farish b Closeburn 1856 died Liverpool 1921
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 July 15 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hello

My name is David Farish Carradice.
I have just seen your posting and believe we share ancestors.

I have record of a Margaret Farish marrying a James Carradice. Margaret was a daughter of Rob.t Farish and Agnes McMurdo, my grandparents 3 x removed.

Please feel free to contact and ifI can be of any help, I will. I can give you access to a tree I have, which is a bit messy, but has my initial findings todate.

Regards

David

Offline tonybonsai

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 July 15 21:09 BST (UK) »
Hi David.
Thanks for contact. A few years ago I found a photograph among family items. It depicted a woman and was signed on back "cousin Mags Farish". I could not at time connect her to my late wife's family of Clanahan, Rae, McMinn or Buchanan. There were a number of connections with the Liverpool and Birkenhead areas. I then found the reference to Janet Burgess Seaton McMinn having married Charles Norman Farish. Janet was the sister of Margaret McMinn who married Thomas Buchanan. They were my wife's G grandparents. Their daughter Henrietta Williamson Buchanan born 1888 at Ruthwell married Alexander Wilkie Graham Donaldson Rae born Troqueer, Kirkcudbright in 1887. Henrietta's daughter Margaret McMinn Rae born 1916 at Torglass, Kirkcudbright married William Clanahan born 1906 Dailly, Ayrshire. My wife was their daughter - Rae Elizabeth Clanahan born 1944 at Girvan, Ayrshire. She died in 2012 in Ayr. She and Margaret 'Mags' Farish were 1st cousins twice removed. I am Anthony Collins who married Rae in 1974. We had two daughters Claire Louise and Amanda Jane. Does any of this mean anything? is it the same Farish family?
Regards Tony.

Offline 19dc60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hello again Tony.
In brief, yes, I do believe it is the same Farish line.
I can give you a very brief run down that links the Farish to the Carradice ( I, and my siblings all share the name Farish as well as Carradice.
I will start with James Carradice 1847-1920 (my Gt Gt Gfather) He was widowed several times and married 3 times. The ones that may interest you are
1. Elizabeth Rae ( I note the spelling and that of your wife's given name) 1857-1873
2. Margaret Farish 1839-1893

Margaret Farish appears to have had two daughters Isabella 1871-1930 and Mary Farish 1871-1941 prior to marrying James Carradice

James and Margaret had issue, one of whom was my Gt Grandfather. James Rob.t Carradice 1878-1915 (fatally wounded WW1)

James Rob.t Carradice was ( we believe) married to a Anna McGiffin/McGiffen and had several children, one of whom was my Grandfather John Carradice 1920-1983

John Carradice married Doris May Crewe who had my father Roger Farish Carradice 1937-1995 and my aunt

I am David John Farish Carradice 1960 and have been intrigued about the Farish name as my grandfather once told me of a church in Scotland (Carrutherstown) where he said the name could be seen on gravestones and the change of spelling faeries/farish and other spellings.

I also note that that you dear wife's name was unusually spelt Rae.... and this I would guess may even link into the link I have Elisabeth Rae (at the top of this info)

Tony. I hope this ties into your findings and would welcome assisting you.

David

Offline tonybonsai

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 August 15 11:23 BST (UK) »
 Hi David.
Sorry for delay in replying. I have been somewhat engaged with other matters for past weeks. Be in no doubt that I am still interested in learning more about 'Mags' Farish so any help in that direction much appreciated. Regards.
Tony

Offline GrannyBell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 October 15 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hello, Ive just found your post, Charles N Farish b Closeburn...Im a direct descent of Charles sister Nicholas b1844.She was such a fascinating character. I dont really have any information on Charles though, but thought Id say Hello.

Offline tonybonsai

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 October 15 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello Grannybell.
Thanks for contact. Can you give me any info about the related 'Mags' Farish as mentioned in my original post?

Offline GrannyBell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 October 15 01:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi no sorry I cant, as your 'Mags' isnt a priority for me I cant give you any info on her Im afraid. If I do stumble on anything I will let you know. Good luck with your search

Offline JFarish10

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 August 20 22:29 BST (UK) »
Hi all, my name is James Farish, I’m new and learning the whole family tree I’ve managed to find out my dads dad and his dad and so on..... I’ve gone back to 1780 where a Robert farish married Margaret Kirk-Fitzpatrick, but in between my dad and Robert I came across ( Charles Norman Farish ) if anyone has any pictures, more names or anything on my family history I would be very grateful for the help, thanks. Hope to hear from use soon