Author Topic: Best Genealogy site?  (Read 1216 times)

Offline GixerGirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Best Genealogy site?
« on: Saturday 27 September 14 22:17 BST (UK) »
As a newcomer to the world of genealogy I am very pleased to have found this forum which seems to be a brilliant place to get lots of hints and tips. I am looking forward to tapping into this wealth of knowledge.

As a starting point I wondered if anyone could advise on which Genealogy site may be the best to use, is there much difference between them?

Thank you  :)
Nevitt, Palin, Fryer, Hopkins, Fry, Boyson

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Best Genealogy site?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 September 14 06:42 BST (UK) »
The best genealogy site depends on the needs of the individual user as does the best genealogy (family tree) programme.

For example Scotland's People is a great site for Scottish records but is of little use when chasing English records.
Each site has its own strengths and weaknesses and each site will lend itself to one person's or another's style of searching.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 September 14 07:13 BST (UK) »
I agree with Guy's comments.

The more popular sites, as you probably know, are Ancestry and Find My Past.

Have a look at both to see which might suit your needs the best, though I suppose if you are new to family history, you may not yet know where your research will take you yet.

Both sites offer a two week free trial so give them both a try. But remember to cancel before the fortnight is up or you will be charged the annual fee.

You may wish to ask for help on rootschat to give you a start with your research, with a view to purchasing a subscription a bit further down the line.

There area number of free sites too such as Familysearch and Freebmd/Freecen/Freereg which are worth investigating regularly as new records are regularly added.

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 September 14 08:45 BST (UK) »
I would look at the free ones first....Free BMD and Free Reg and Free Cen.Family search can offer a lot but needs to be checked and if you are lucky on Family Search your area may have Certs to look at which is what you need for proof.The main thing is not to copy any trees you see as these are often wrong .They can give guidance but don't be satisfied till you have the proof.Family History Sicieties are often useful to join ....some counties are better than others.Look at wHats on offer on the county pages on Roots Chat.Googlethe villages your ancestors come from with the question parish registers.There is a lot if free info out there and so many free genealogy sites.In the end you will probably want to subscribe to Ancestry or FindMyPast.
Have fun
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 September 14 08:47 BST (UK) »
You haven't updated your profile, so we don't know where in the world you live?

If you are in the UK, then try your local library - it's likely they offer access to Ancestry (Library Edition) or FindMyPast.
So you can try them out for free! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline TerriG

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kit No: B303763
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 September 14 09:42 BST (UK) »
In the latest edition of Who Do You Think You Are magazine, they have road tested all the sites.  As was said before, it depends who & where you are researching as to which site is best for you. 

If you are in the UK, I would also recommend the library - my local one has Ancestry, Find My Past & family history magazines you can borrow for a week.  Some libraries also offer genealogy courses. 

Another option are the LDS family history centres which are dotted all over the place.

Good luck!
McLeod, McKean, Hepburn (Fife)
McGowan, Gowan (Dumfriesshire, Ireland)
Nelson, McKean (Lanarkshire)
McKean, Mulgrew (Lethbridge, Alberta)
Boswell, Plumb, Lyon, Stokes, Pemberton, Crawford, Threadgold (Cheshire)
Tierney (Scotland/Ireland)

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 September 14 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,

OPC (online parish clerks) sites are useful; coverage varies as they are all run by volunteers.  Here's the link to Dorset with the other counties listed at the bottom of the page.

http://www.opcdorset.org/

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 September 14 10:45 BST (UK) »

As a starting point I wondered if anyone could advise on which Genealogy site may be the best to use, is there much difference between them?

Hi GixerGirl. There isn't one, it depends on your needs.

What I would recommend, however,  is that you look at "Resources" in the various geographical areas of this forum (especially for the free online material), good luck. 

Offline GixerGirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 September 14 20:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for all your really helpful comments, I guess I do just need to get started and see where things take me, at least I know that there are lots of you out there who can offer a wealth of knowledge and experience.

Sorry as well I should have said that I am in the UK!

Thank you again.
Nevitt, Palin, Fryer, Hopkins, Fry, Boyson