Author Topic: Who was Elsie Nichols ? Bridesmaid in 1907  (Read 16940 times)

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Elsie Nichols ? Bridesmaid in 1907
« Reply #18 on: Monday 29 September 14 10:31 BST (UK) »
Here is Elsie Stirrat's notice re the death of her Mother and Father Margaret and William Nicholls in 1918.

Trove : Sydney Morning Herald 3rd October 1918
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01aa5/

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline thetowers

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 29 September 14 10:33 BST (UK) »
Even if William was born in 1851 and not 1854, a marriage in 1863 seems unlikely.  My in-laws seem to believe he was never married.   Maybe he had a daughter, Elsie,  anyway.

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 29 September 14 10:34 BST (UK) »
Even if William was born in 1851 and not 1854, a marriage in 1863 seems unlikely.  My in-laws seem to believe he was never married.   Maybe he had a daughter, Elsie,  anyway.

Maybe

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 29 September 14 11:01 BST (UK) »
This may be the in memorium notice for the couple William and Margaret. They died in the same year, so perhaps we are looking at the wrong people.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/15850449?searchTerm=william%20AND%20%22margaret%20nicholls%22&searchLimits=exactPhrase=margaret+nicholls

I was just thinking along the lines that as there was no family stories about a wife or children, and he was known as an old man who wasn't married, perhaps his wife died young or they separated. This newspaper article with them dying close together discounted my theory and made me think we were looking at the wrong couple.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 29 September 14 11:48 BST (UK) »
William NICHOLLS born 10 Dec 1851, baptised 7 March 1854, son of John and Mary
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTHV-7WL

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTDY-FL4  born Wellington NSW 10 Dec 1851

NSW BDM has William as 1851, ref Vol 40, line 1211
NSW BDM has Catharine as 1854, ref Vol 40, line 1210. 

So both were baptised on the same day, and Catharine’s baptism was recorded on the line above William’s.

There are quite a number of NSW marriages prior to 1935 where the groom is  recorded as young as 14, and the bride 12.

Here’s one where the bride was 11.   This was 1924.   This certificate is on the NSW BDM website
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/resources/m1924-3913.pdf

Add
It says here that William Nichols died on the 23rd April 1934 at Church Street Mudgee, late of Cudgegong shire.  His death certificate says he was a miner.
It says he was born on 12 january 1854 and baptised 7 March 1854,   and his sister Catherine was born on 10 december 1851 and baptised on the same day 7 March 1854.  Which makes it seem that Catherine was 2 years and 1 month older than William.   These dates apparently come from the film of the baptism register.
However, the death certificate of their father,  John Nichols, who died in 1868,   says that William and 16 and Catherine 14.   And the death certificate of their mother who died in 1929 says her children were William (77)  and Catherine(75).   
This apparently makes it seem likely that the preacher who baptised both of them in 1854,  wrote down their birthdays the wrong way around in his book.

I think you will find that the clergy wrote it correctly and the researcher has simply mis-read their transcription of the film, afterall, it seems likely that the two siblings were baptised on the same day....

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline thetowers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 29 September 14 11:49 BST (UK) »
The in memoriam notice posted by Elsie and James Stirrat,  apparently concerning Elsie's parents,   looks to me as though it says her father William Nichols died in 1890  and her mother Margaret Nichols in october 3 1917.

That what the 1918 one says,   anyhow.   In the 1919 one,   the year of her father's death is smudged.   I don't think Elsie Stirrat's parents died in the same year.

This Elsie Nichols appears to have married James Stirrat,  at Ashfield in Sydney in 1894.  NSW Marriage 2115 of 1894.    It seems improbable that she is the "Miss Elsie Nichols",  bridesmaid in 1907.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 29 September 14 11:52 BST (UK) »
NSW ER 1870 MUDGEE
William NICHOL of Two mile Flat, residence, Two mile flat
John Henry NICHOLS, of Mudgee, household, Cox Street
William NICHOLS, of Two mile Flat, residence, Two mile flat
Charles NICHOLLS, of Campbell’s Creek, freehold, Campbell’s Creek

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 29 September 14 11:57 BST (UK) »
Is it possible that one of William's sisters had a child (Elsie) before she married? This would explain the surname of Nicholls.

Offline thetowers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 29 September 14 12:01 BST (UK) »
In the sydney morning herald of 3 october 1918,  the noticed by both alice david and elsie stirrat,  commemorating the first anniversary of their mother's death,   say that their father william nicholls died 21 March 1890.

The death of this William Nicholls is in the herald of 25 March 1890:

" NICHOLLS.-March 21, at Callan Park Hospital, William Nicholls, after a long illness from affection of lungs and brain, in his 50th year, leaving a wife and large family to mourn their loss."

This is a different family to the William Nicholls who lived at Mudgee and died in 1934.