Author Topic: Dead ends!  (Read 4117 times)

Offline Pauline_Hutton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Dead ends!
« on: Saturday 17 July 04 14:54 BST (UK) »
Has anyone else experienced misinformation on the census returns?  How can someone be born in Lambeth in one census and Staffordshire in the next?  Or Ireland in one and Aldershot in another?  I'm pulling my hair out here!  ???

Pauline
East London:  Chamberlain, McCall, Selby, Coleman,  Jones, Humphries, Davies
South London:  Wannell, Carr, Sullivan, Holland
Kent: Day
Norfolk: Knopwood Caulk
Flintshire:  Davies; Jones
Ireland:  Rowe (Kildare & Dundalk), Collins (Cork)
Staffs: Carr, Powell

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
Re: Dead ends!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 July 04 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Pauline
               Yes it seems to happen a lot, especially with the online censuses, the original census book images that have only been transcribed once from the census forms are the most accurate, and the more they are transcribed the more errors there are made.
               Then of course there are the people who have moved about that much that they are not sure where they were born, I also suspect that the bad spellers plumped for the shortest address they could think of.
              There is also them that are born in one district and registered in another, some of them are so confused they just put the country down.
              Do you think our ancesters knew that one day we would be sat here trying to solve these mysteries and so they did it for devilment, cause I do.

good luck with it all

peterbennett
  ps please forgive the spelling misstakes
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline Pauline_Hutton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 July 04 17:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter - I'm really envious of people who can trace their families back forever!!    :'(    My own family research is proving to be a real pain - at one least half of it is!

Oh well - tomorrow is another day!  If at first you don't succeed etc. etc.!

Regards
Pauline

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 July 04 15:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My family seem to be particularly difficult in census records.  I have one family that is there for 1881 and disappears completely by 1891,  I have not looked in 1901 for them yet.

I have another family that all have different places of birth and ages from one census to another,  and another with different middle names.  2 of my G-Grandfathers manage to avoid being counted as do both of their future wives families.

Another one of them,  a GG-Grandfather is proving to be a particular worry.  He is Frederick John Mardon when he marries,  Frederick Mardon in the 1891 census,  born C 1876.  BUT in 1871 his family appear with a Frederick Mardon aged 13 weeks.  By 1881 there is no Frederick,  but there is a Fredrick aged 6. 

My theory is that the child Frederick died and later there was another male child who was called Fredrick.  As the years went by he began to spell it Frederick,  and John was added at some time.  I am currently looking for the BMDs to prove this,  but to complicate it,  this family moved all over the country in 20 years,  with children born in London,  cardiff,  Bristol,  Penzance and Devon.

And Fredrick/Frederick's mother was born in Jersey or Devon,  take your pick.   ::)  If there were not so many matches in the 7 children,  I would assume they were 2 different families.   ;D

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline Pauline_Hutton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 July 04 16:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Kazza - I'm glad I'm not the only one having problems.  I'm trying to trace one family who appear in 1871 and have completely disappeared and its only my gt. gt. grandmother,  youngest daughter and a granddaughter that have re-appeared in 1901 census - who knows where the rest of them are?  But the biggest mystery of all is my grandfather who was supposedly born in 1891.  I can't find him anywhere and I now strongly suspect his birth may not have been registered.  He was also known by 2 different names which makes research "interesting"!  :-\   

Kazza - do you know if he could have gotten married without a birth certificate?

Regards
Pauline

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 July 04 00:30 BST (UK) »
Pauline,

Misery loves company.   ;D

I do not know about getting married without a birth certificae,  I will have to check that for you,  but I can tell you that my Grandfather has 2 birth certificates with different dates on them.  :o

The story goes that his birth was originally registered with the wrong date,  and he re-registered himself as an adult with the correct date!!  I think he did this in order to marry,  but that is only a rumour.

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 July 04 07:01 BST (UK) »
Join the Club ?

My dad says his grandfather was born in Germany. On the 1901 census I found his Grandad - born in Stepney !!

I have his marriage cert. from 1887 but he's not on the 1881 census, and so far, he's not been found on the 1871 or 1861 census !

My guess ?

Yes, he came from Germany, but left his ship one day when it docked in Stepney, (either he finished his hire or went AWOL).

For the 1901 census he entered Stepney, because, after all, that is where he was "born" british !
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)