Author Topic: 9th May 1915, James Henry Hunt, age 25, 2nd Battalion Rifle Brigade  (Read 1693 times)

Offline Patrizia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
9th May 1915, James Henry Hunt, age 25, 2nd Battalion Rifle Brigade
« on: Tuesday 30 September 14 17:29 BST (UK) »
Lance Corporal James Henry Hunt age 25 years was killed in action on the 9th May 1915 whilst fighting in the Western European Theatre, France and Flanders.  His home town was N Shoebury, Essex.   

Offline Andy Pay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 9th May 1915, James Henry Hunt, age 25, 2nd Battalion Rifle Brigade
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 March 15 09:24 GMT (UK) »
James was born in Norwich and lived in North Shoeburyness. He had previously served in India and was killed in The Battle of Aubers Ridge 9/5/15 with many other poor souls of the 2nd Rifle Brigade at Rouges Bancs near Fromelles.
He has an obituary in the Southend Standard 17/2/16 and a picture in the same paper 1/7/15.

Andy
The Rifle Brigade in WW1, particularly the 8th Battalion.

Offline Patrizia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 March 15 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Andy for further info, I have not seen the articles you mentioned in the Southnd Standard can they be found in the archives in Southend Library?  James Henry Hunt was my grand uncle born in Stratton St Mary, Norfolk in 1890. By 1886 the family had moved to Navestock in Essex and by 1901 the family William and Margery and seven children (aged between 21 and 6 years were in S Essex, living at Star Corner Grt Wakering/Shoebury. The older children and father were employed at Temple Farm, Sutton, Essex. Sadly they not only lost James in WW1 but also another son Walter who was born whilst the family was in Navestock, Essex.  Walter joined the Royal Marines Light Infantry in 10th December 1915 and was killed in action 14th Nov 1916.
I only knew recently of the memorial plaque in N Shoebury and also James name on the wall plaque in Priory museum, Prittlewell, Essex but sadly Walters name was not on either, however, that has now been rectified and Walter has been added on the electronic system alongside.

Thank you for your interest.

Name:
Walter Hunt

Service Branch:
Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve

Unit:
Hood Bn.

Able Seaman

Death Date:
13 Nov 1916

Cause of Death:
Missing 13-14/11/16, assumed killed in action

Burial:
Thiepval Memorial (MR 21)

Service History:
Enlisted 19/6/15 ; Draft for MEF 25/10/15, joined Hood Bn. 2/12/15-13/11/16 DD.

Service number:
London Z/2375

Notes:
CWGC = 14/11/16 ; A Farm Labourer ; b.25/12/1895 ; Home address: Temple Farm, Prittlewell, Essex ; Next-of-Kin: Father, William, Star Corner, North Shoebury, Southend-on-Sea ; ADM/171 = St.V.B. issued to Universal Legatee. ; Brother of 2999 (or 2709) Lance Corporal James Henry Hunt, 2nd Bn. Rifle Brigade KIA 9/5/15 age 25.

Offline Andy Pay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 March 15 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Walter Frederick Hunt R.N.V.R. Hood Battalion, Royal Naval Division also has an obituary in the Southend Standard.
Obit 12/7/17 edition and a photograph in the 19.7.17 edition, photograph in a suit and flat cap.

A.B. Hunt lived at Star Corner North, North Shoeburyness, and joined the Navy in June 1915. He was reported missing in France on 14th November 1916, and was later presumed to have been killed on that date, aged 22.

His name appears on the Shoebury War Memorial.

Re. James, if you ever go to the western Front, the Diggers memorial park is on exactly the same front line that the 2nd RB took in May 1915. 24 bodies from this action were found in the field past the Kennedy Memorial Cross in 1928. I have some German pictures of the field after the RB attacked, unfortunately I am not allowed to post them here without the German Regimental Archives permission, but they are disturbing, well I find them so having done a lot of research on the men and having a passion for The Rifle Brigade.

The Southend Standard can be viewed on microfilm in the library.

Andy

Offline Patrizia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 March 15 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Andy once more for your info. I am researching my family history and was only aware of James and Walter in recent times, I found a photo of Walter (maybe the same one you refer to on someones elses tree) but I have not seen a photo as yet of James. I will visit Southend Library this week to look at the info you have given and add to my tree, thank you so much.

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 07:51 GMT (UK) »
Andy

When you say Southend Library I assume you mean Focus, the new library linked to the University, not the old Central Library in Victoria Avenue?

Martin

Offline Patrizia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you yes I will go the new Focus Library just off Southend High Street near the Uni.

Offline Andy Pay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Martin,

Is that what they call it now, yes the new one down Queens road, nothing wrong with the old one down Victoria Avenue but the new University wanted it next to them to enable students to study. Funny, as when I was at University you studied on the premises of the University not expect the town to finance and build a new purpose built facility for the University ::). Good to see what our taxes are spent on isn't it ;D

Andy