Author Topic: William DAVIS married to Martha ORME/HOLMES 1/2/1869, Collector, NSW  (Read 32934 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William DAVIS married to Martha ORME/HOLMES 1/2/1869, Collector, NSW
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 16 October 14 08:58 BST (UK) »
The 1828 census has quite a few of the DAVIS family shown as "superintendent to Mr Terry, Murrambateman" (sic)  which at least puts them near the right area. Murrumbateman is about 40k north of Canberra. Nearest Rail would be at Yass, or the line from Goulburn through Bungendore, Queanbeyan to Cooma.

There may have been other lines at earlier times.  However the place of birth "railway line, near Queanbeyan" must have been recorded later as railways only began in the 1850s  :-\ .

William DAVIS, 35, FS, Earl Spencer 1813
Mary (alias Lawrence), 36, FS, Broxenbury 1814
Hanna, 14
George, 12
James 10,
Elizabeth, 7

Judith

Judith
Willam, 2

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 16 October 14 09:22 BST (UK) »
As per NSW BDM
Mary LAWRENCE married George DAVIS in 1818    Vol 7, line 298.
Mary LAWRENCE married George DAVIES in 1818 … Vol 3a, line 2135

As per family search org
  3 Feb 1818. George was 30.,  Mary was 28
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTCK-FQ8
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTCT-N9C (check the status for both)
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTZV-HY9

from the Biographical Database of Australia (BDA)  http://www.bda-online.org.au/
July 1814
Mary LAWRENCE, age 21, Servant, tried 4 Aug 1813 Dorset Assizes, 7 years, per Broxbornebury, arrived Sydney 28 July 1814.  Ticket of Leave # 977,  Certificate of Freedom # 461

Nov 1814  Muster
Mary LAWRENCE assigned to Mrs Reibey, at Sydney

Sept 1822 Muster
Mary LYONS per Broxbornebury, wife of George Davis, at Sydney

Sept 1823 Muster
Mary DAVIES, Murrumbateman info as per Judith’s post.
  oops, I have missed a couple of lines. 

Sept 1823 Muster
Mary DAVIS per Broxbornebury, Free by Servitude, wife of George Davis, at Bathurst

Nov 1828,
Mary DAVIES, murrumbateman in as per Judith's post. 

So, perhaps she was Mary LYONS, then Mary LAWRENCE (transported under this name), then Mary DAVIS

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 16 October 14 09:33 BST (UK) »
3 February 1818
George DAVIS, aged 30, Bachelor, of Sydney, Mariner, (signed X) and Mary LAWRENCE, aged 28, Spinster, of Sydney, (signed X) married 3 Feb 1818, registered St Phillips C of E, Sydney by Banns, by William COWPER, Assistant Chaplain.  Witnesses (both signed X)  John TERAL and Amelia MAJOR.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline jemappelle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 16 October 14 11:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all that information!  I searched on the BDM and couldn't find anything.   ???

Sorry, the birth at Railway Line near Queanbeyan was for a son of William Davis and he was born in 1885.

I also have a copy of a marriage certificate for one of the daughters that was married in 1885 and the residence is listed as Railway Works Queanbeyan.  There are quite a few of the 12 children born at Queanbeyan so that could indicate a long residence at the Railway Works.

Offline kezza0969

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 30 May 15 12:07 BST (UK) »
I have stumbled across all this information. My great grandfather was Davis, Arthur Albert,   b. 1875, Goulburn, NSW  d. 1951, Wollongong, NSW  (Age 76 years).
Im very interested in contacting anyone from the family tree. (*)
I have the old family bible that's had a little info for me to begin this search.
From what family have told me Davis owned blocks of land in Mathews street Wollongong which were all beside each other. Arthur Albert was one of them owners. he passed it on to my pop and nan Eric and Clara Davis. It was only sold about 15 years ago. love to get any info 

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline jemappelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 31 May 15 00:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Kezza0960, I would love to make contact with you.  Perhaps you could make another few posts relating to what you have discovered, in this thread, and we could then private message each other.

I've had a bit of a break from family history so it was great to read through this thread and refresh my memory.

Offline kezza0969

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 08 June 15 07:38 BST (UK) »
The only info I have is what is in this thread. I started with births written in the bible I have. I don't have a lot of info.

Offline knows a lot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 03 December 15 15:33 GMT (UK) »
William Davis who married Martha Holmes (Orme) was an aboriginal born near Sutton Forest, Bong Bong areas (no definite date known). He was probably a half caste or maybe quarter. He died at Berry in 1891. He was working on railway lines and was killed by wagon wheel. His eldest son then took out a mining lease at Yalwal. His mother (Martha) and all family members were recorded at Yalwal in 1892. I have a lot of info re that family. Took me a long time to discover there was a name change from Orme to Holmes. Some info cannot be substantiated, but from family sources and pure research. I am a direct descendant from William Davis and Martha Orme. Many pages of info. Will include some items from my family history and put onto this site, very soon.

Offline jemappelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 03 December 15 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi 'knows a lot' and welcome to the forum

You have certainly shared some interesting information and it does fit with William's other history of working on the railways at Queanbeyan.

However I have found a William Davis registered on a voting listl when he was living at Willeroo in 1870.  My understanding is that Aboriginals were not able to register to vote until the 20th Century.  I also thought only land holders could vote so this has confused me a bit (it's possible he had land at that time).

Also William Davis is a common name so it is possible there were two living at Willeroo Homestead at that time.

I've had a bit of a break from family history research but am now motivated to get back into it.

I look forward to hearing more of what you have found.  Thanks for sharing.   :)