Author Topic: William DAVIS married to Martha ORME/HOLMES 1/2/1869, Collector, NSW  (Read 33589 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William DAVIS married to Martha ORME/HOLMES 1/2/1869, Collector, NSW
« Reply #90 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 05:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rick,
I am sure you have endeavoured to explore all possible options in your search.
I want to make sure I am understanding where you now stand in this quest.

Is it correct you believe that the Monaro Pioneers site has made an error in their assertion that William Henry SMITH (married 1887),  also had the given name REYNOLDS?  This was mentioned by Judith above.

Is it correct you have full BMD information for the man William Henry Reynold SMITH?
I have not been able to locate anything conclusive about the man in Victoria, but admittedly, my searching has not  been thorough ::)

In your opinion is it just an interesting coincidence that the birth time of your chap and that of William Henry Reynold SMITH are very similar and both born  in the same region?

Just worth noting too......
The son informing on the death certificate of your William Henry SMITH may have had no real information about the parents of his father.

Daylesford and Castlemaine are about 35 kilometers apart and it is common to find people at that time held incorrect notions of their exact birth place.

Anyhow, it is certainly frustrating for you to be brought to a halt in your family history by this hurdle

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 07:00 GMT (UK) »
JM and Sue, there is a note on an Ancestry tree stating that William Henry Reynolds SMITH is not the William Henry SMITH who married Frances.  The person posting states that the chap with Reynolds in his name is this fellow: William Henry Reynolds Smith born 24 October 1865 to George Smith and Eliza Reynolds. He married Christian Robson and died from TB in Henty NSW, 15 December 1909.

That marriage is shown on Vic BMDS
1887 #959
Christian ROBSON William Henry SMITH

His birth certificate is on Ancestry - he is the 7th child of George and Eliza.

I can't see the death in NSW, but an ancestry tree has an obit for him from the Walla Walla and Balldale News incorporating the Culcairn Shire Advertiser and The Henty Chonicle dated 1909.  The tree appears well-researched.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 07:57 GMT (UK) »
..........there is a note on an Ancestry tree stating that William Henry Reynolds SMITH is not the William Henry SMITH who married Frances.  The person posting states that the chap with Reynolds in his name is this fellow: William Henry Reynolds Smith born 24 October 1865 to George Smith and Eliza Reynolds. He married Christian Robson and died from TB in Henty NSW, 15 December 1909.
I can't see the death in NSW..........,
Judith

Hmm....not recorded as William H
13202/1909 GERMANTON definitely near Henty
SMITH  John H 
but parents with correct first names
GEORGE & ELIZA

Essie

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 08:57 GMT (UK) »

Finally, I did pursue the William Henry Reynolds for some time. Though it became apparent that he married, lived and died in Vic and was a different person.

I was a bit tricked by his having supposedly died in Victoria.
Thanks Judith
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 09:00 GMT (UK) »
When you drill down the death index found by Essie is on the correct date - 15/12/1909.  I suppose Holbrook (Germanton) was the nearest registry.
13202/1909 GERMANTON definitely near Henty
SMITH  John H 
but parents with correct first names
GEORGE & ELIZA

Curioser and curioser, but may just be a co-incidence

Henty cemetery has no burial record matching W H R SMITH but has this burial record:
Herbert William SMITH, died 1/12/1909
Grave site: Meth, Row A, Plot 17  Christian SMITH (wife of W H R SMITH) is buried in Plot 16.
I can't see a death index entry matching this one!

NOthing to do with the original query though!!
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rick Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone. I was actually contacted by a relative of W H R Smith to tell me "He is not your William Henry Smith!" They seemed to have lots of photos and details on Ancestry, with wife etc.

And at times when my Pop and brothers were being born in Yalwal, W H R Smith was getting busy down south in Vic. So I had to move on.

Frances was under 21 when they married. I often wonder whether, at their marriage, the first record I can find of his DOB, he lied about his age, maybe informing that he was younger than he actually was. (Having died at only 48, which seems young).

Arthur Davis is recorded as the informant on his BDM death certificate, and listed in the death certificate is that his fathers name was also William Henry Smith, a miner. Who would know if this was accurate or not. He is buried in a unmarked grave in Wollongong Cementary. His age at death is listed as 48 which is consistent with an 1864 birth year.

When in Yalwal he is listed as a miner. Would there be records about miners at Yalwal that could help give  me more information?

Thank you again.

Offline Roccos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Wednesday 17 November 21 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello I am a newbie and connected to William Davis and Martha Orme threw my uncle, Just wondering if other members are related and living in Australia.
Thanks
Roccos
Creighton, Law, Stanmore, Davis

Offline Roccos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Wednesday 17 November 21 09:34 GMT (UK) »
jemappelle How are you connected to the Davis Family ?
I am doing research for William,s Great grand daughter.
Thanks
Creighton, Law, Stanmore, Davis

Offline SareMichelle

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Wednesday 06 July 22 07:30 BST (UK) »
Hello I am researching for my grand mother, Ada Davis Grand Daughter. Reaching out looking to find any photos of the Davis family and any documents related to Willam & Martha's family.