Author Topic: Burke family-Cork- Mitchelstown  (Read 1414 times)

Offline irishnks

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burke family-Cork- Mitchelstown
« on: Friday 03 October 14 20:53 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find information on my g.g.g. grandfather Michael Burke b-1830 d-1896. He was from Mitchelstown, unsure if that was his place of birth. He immigrated to St. Louis Mo. and married
Ellen Keefe (possib. O'Keefe). There were 3 sons born to the union- Lawrence, Edward (my g.g.grandfather) and Thomas. I have no other information from Ireland.
Advance thanks!
Terry

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burke family-Cork- Mitchelstown
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 October 14 21:16 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat.
Have you got his marriage?
To have any chance of finding him in Ireland you will need his father's name which should be recorded on his marriage, of course his mother's also would be a great help.

Offline irishnks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 October 14 21:47 BST (UK) »
I have a marriage certificate ordered from St. Louis that shows Michael, son of Lawrence Burke and Julia O'Brien. I have found Laurence Burke in the 1901 Griffiths , but not much else.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 October 14 00:32 BST (UK) »
Sorry.
I'm not having any luck either.
You would expect to find his baptism on RootsIreland if he is from the Mitchelstown area but I can't find it.
The Laurence Burke Glenduff in Griffiths Valuation has a print of 1852 so he is a possibility but without the baptism it's impossible to know.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 October 14 00:43 BST (UK) »
That Laurence in Griffiths doesn't look so good, there is a birth on FamilySearch for a Patrick Burke in 1876 Glenduff father Laurence but mother is Margaret Parnell

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 October 14 09:05 BST (UK) »
Oh I was too tried last night.
That Patrick birth, the father could be a brother of Michael, I know why I thought it was no good because I thought I was looking at a marriage. Now I can't find it to check.
Need a fresh look.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 October 14 10:18 BST (UK) »
I've gone through it all again, tried all sorts of searches, I even tried that Patrick, Margaret and Laurence from Glenduff but they only show on FamilySearch not RootsIreland, well not with the mothers surname in the search.
Maybe some one else will have more luck.

Offline irishnks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 October 14 14:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Sinann
Much gratitude for your efforts. I feel like I've hit a brick wall with the lack of information I have on
my end to continue. Those Burke's certainly loved the name Michael! It's everywhere, but where I would expect it to be. A blessing to have the Mitchelstown information, so I expected to be able to
hit the jackpot there. I am so grateful to you for your time and toil! I will keep searching and praying to find some answers. You certainly are good at what you do and have touched many lives I'm sure-