Author Topic: Cook/Ridley marriage  (Read 4190 times)

Offline Rustypup

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cook/Ridley marriage
« on: Friday 03 October 14 23:24 BST (UK) »
Hello

Looking for help to trace my grandfather's sister Jane Cook
Found a death notice in my local paper for a Jane , widow of Group Captain Osmond Ridley late
of Newcastle upon Tyne. Can't get more information, can anyone help?

Thanks
Rustypup

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Cook/Ridley marriage
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 October 14 23:35 BST (UK) »
Freebmd shows Osmond and Jane married in 1913 in Morpeth.  You don't give any details of where Jane died or when but presumably not recently given she must have been born in the 1890's

www.freebmd.org.uk

You can use freebmd to look for Ridley births with mothers maiden name Cook - there are births in 1914 Helen M  1916 Osmond 1918 Ernest F

You could order a copy of her death cert to see if there is any additional info shown but death certs aren't always a good source of info

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 October 14 03:33 BST (UK) »
You haven't told us enough about Jane for us to search for more than her marriage, so I looked at her husband as he has such an (nicely) unusual name and his records do tell us a little about Jane (marriage date, d.o.b. of first child, addresses at different times after her marriage)

There is a ww1 army pension record for Osmond George Ridley, just 2 pages. He attested at Newcastle on 17 Dec 1914, his occupation was Grocer and he lived at Burdon Terrace, Bedlington. Nest of Kin was his wife, Jane Ridley (nee Cook)  of Burdon Terrace, Bedlington and they were married 31st July 1913 at Bedlington . One child, Helen May Ridley born 18th April 1914.

He attested on 17th Dec and was discharged on 19th Dec as "Not likely to become an efficient soldier",  total service 3 days so didn't qualify for a pension :-)

Which is odd, as there is also a ww1 medal card for Osmond George Ridley of the East York rank given as Lieut, Capt, Major  which says he served n France in 1916. The correspondence section says (as far as I can tell) that he was an accountant and in 1922 correspondence about his medals was sent to Cairo.  Maybe he was judged not likely to be an efficient soldier but was okay to be an accountant and therefore an Officer in an admin capacity? You'd need someone more knowledgable than I to give an opinion on that. Though I think it must be the same man as there is only one Osmond Geore Ridley birth coming up on Free BMD and he was born Q1 1890, Morpeth Registration District so that seems to look likely.

2 Incoming passenger lists for him
1 On the Olympia Bombay to Liverpool, embarked at Port Said, arriving 12 Jul 1924 Capt Osmond George Ridley, soldier, address c/o Lloyds Bank, Pall Mall, London
2 On the Viceroy of India, Bombay to London, embarked at Port Said, Osmond George Ridley, R.A.F., age 41,address Dickinson Crescent, Gosforth, Newcastle

1940 BT phone book has a Wing Commander Osmond G listed at Heather Dene, Etching Hill, Rugeley in Staffs (he he! not many telephones in the area, his number was Rugeley 93)

He died 24 Mar 1949, Administration (with Will) was granted to Lloyds Bank 01 Sep 1949. Probate calendar says his address at the time of death was 40 Highbury, Jesmond, Newcastle and his effects were £2047 10s 2d

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 October 14 04:11 BST (UK) »
hmm,
having looked at your previous posts (which I maybe should have done earlier), are you checking every marriage in the country for someone called Jane Cook,  hoping to find the Jane Boyd Cook you were looking for who was born in West Kilbride in 1884?

If so, then I think the shorter answer than the one I gave previously would be that the Cook/Ridley marriage is unlikely to be the one you were looking for.

Boo

Offline Rustypup

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 October 14 22:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks CarolW and Tickettyboo

The Jane Cook I'm searching for would appear to have returned to Ayrshire in Scotland.
Her death was recorded in local paper  in 1969 quoting mother of Helen and Ernest and wife of
the late George Osmond Ridley of Newcastle.
The last trace of her was on the 1911 census in Kilbirnie, Ayrshire as a servant to a grain merchant.

I'll order a certificate and hope my search is over.

Rustypup

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 October 14 23:12 BST (UK) »
Oh good really pleased that it may be the right one after all and hope your search is over.

If I may, though, I'd like to mention for the future that its easier for others to help 'if' you give us as much info as you can. If you'd given the location and text of the newspaper entry it would have been a lot clearer.

but now, hopefully, the info I gave for her husband may come in useful after all :-)

Let us know if its the right one when you get the record, I always 'wonder' if the poster doesn't come back to tell us.

Boo

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 October 14 23:21 BST (UK) »
There is a partial tree on Ancestry showing the marriage as 3.7.1913 and Jane as born Bedlington.  However - it also shows her as Jean Cooke so may not be accurate as to her birthplace
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 October 14 02:46 BST (UK) »
There is a partial tree on Ancestry showing the marriage as 3.7.1913 and Jane as born Bedlington.  However - it also shows her as Jean Cooke so may not be accurate as to her birthplace

I re-checked the ww1 pension record for Osmond and it does seem to say 31st July

Boo

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 October 14 04:34 BST (UK) »
I also think it is 31st July, but I can see how it could be interpreted as 3rd July. :)