Author Topic: Error Messages on Familysearch  (Read 8097 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Error Messages on Familysearch
« on: Saturday 04 October 14 17:27 BST (UK) »
Having recently learned that the NZ probate records are available on www.familysearch.org, I have been trying to access them on my (ageing) PC.

I can get as far as the index, but when I put in a name and try to search, I get an error message saying "We are unable to display page content due to technical difficulties. Please try again in a few minutes." Well, I've been trying from time to time for several days now, and always get the same message.

I can browse the collection, but not, apparently, search the index.

Then I had the idea of trying my netbook, and the search works fine there. The only snag is that the results are so small I cannot read them. I can, of course, use the result there to find what I want through the 'browse' pages on the PC, so all is not lost.

However the fact that I can do it on the netbook and not on the PC suggests that some setting or other on the PC must have been altered. But it wasn't by me!

Which reminds me that on the PC, if I search the IGI, then change the search parameters, it won't perform the revised search unless I refresh.

Both PC and netbook have Windows XP (yes, I know XP is out of date) and Firefox 32.0.3. The PC has Norton, the netbook doesn't. I am a tech-numpty.

Are two phenomena related, and, more to the point, what should I do about them?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Error Messages on Familysearch
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 October 14 18:46 BST (UK) »
Tried with latest F/fox and worked fine!

IF it was me... I'd close email program and all other tabs, disable Norton and try reloading the search page and see if it loaded OK or not...

then re-enable Norton, if it loaded OK then possible Norton clash.. no difference then possibly a F/fox setting problem.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 October 14 19:10 BST (UK) »
And to confuse you both, XP, Norton 360 plus Firefox ver 32.0.3!
No problems here looking at search now.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 October 14 19:44 BST (UK) »
LOL... no confusion just don't have Norton to test it!

Another thing the affects FS is slow internet connection which can cause problem.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 October 14 20:07 BST (UK) »

Another thing the affects FS is slow internet connection which can cause problem.
Certainly agree with you on that, Forfarian could you post a link to your last linkable connection?
[Just out of curiosity to check]
 Brian

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 October 14 22:59 BST (UK) »
Forfarian could you post a link to your last linkable connection?

Sorry, Brian, but I don't actually understand what you mean by last linkable connection.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 October 14 00:03 BST (UK) »
I have found that if you are using Firefox with the NoScript addon, you have to allow or temporarily allow all the websites on the search page. I was getting the errors and found that this worked. and I do not get them any more.

You can turn them on and off until you find which one is causing the problem, and then either leave it on permanently or just temporarily.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 October 14 04:31 BST (UK) »
Forfarian: What I was trying to say is 'which page did you get to before you got the error'!
I was going to try and get to the same page to see if I had the same problems.
 Brian

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 October 14 09:33 BST (UK) »
if you are using Firefox with the NoScript addon
Thank you for this suggestion. I have looked at my add-ons and there isn't one called NoScript listed.