Author Topic: Lilley family from Lisburn  (Read 8750 times)

Offline janec123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lilley family from Lisburn
« Reply #18 on: Friday 12 December 14 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heather ,Thanks so much for the information ,im relatively new to this so your help is much appreciated ,Jane x
Norris,Lilley,Mcfall,Timperley,Rowing,Janes,
Hodgen,Conroy,Irwin,Welch

Offline heatherp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 12 December 14 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Janec,  I have been researching my illusive Lilley for years so have collected quite a bit of info on the Lilley/Lilly/Lillie line.  Thomas Lilley the one I mentioned Had other children, Samuel, born 19 March 1865, Moses George, born 1 March 1868, Jonathon, born 6 May 1871, Henry, born 30 July 1874, I think a Joseph born c 1855? I am think these are his siblings and estimate Hill was born c 1856?  Hope this helps.  Let me know what other info you need. regards Heather
Lilly Larne N I
Lilley Cairncastle NI
Magill Cairncastle NI
Morrow Carnalbanagh NI
Rea Owencloughy NI
Rea Ballymena NI
Strain Ballymena - Larne NI
Wilson Broughshane NI
MCClintock Broughshane NI

Offline janec123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 12 December 14 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heather ,Hill was born in 1856 ,my granddad was named after him ,Hills son ,my great granddad Thomas came over to Scotland but I think most of them must have stayed in Ireland unless you know different lol. My research is very basic it looks like you have a lot more information, would be grateful for anything you could tell me x

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 14 December 14 17:18 GMT (UK) »
The Belfast Gazette of 27th January 1939, in giving notice of charitable bequests, mentions that Hill Lilley left the residue of his estate to charities in the Lisburn area and in particular that a sum be given to Lisburn Methodist Church. Perhaps he had links with the church in his later years.

Appreciate you probably already have looked at them, but just posting 1901 and 1911 census here to make it easy for others to see your great grandad Thomas' siblings (as you think they remained in Ireland):

www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Lisburn/Longstone_Street/1001343/

www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Lisburn/Longstone_Street/201775/

by 1911, one of the siblings is married and living at another property in Longstone Street:

www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Lisburn/Longstone_Street/201752/

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline janec123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 14 December 14 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,Thanks for that info , we had always wondered where the money had gone ,so now we know it was given to charity which is nice to know other people benefited from it ,the other relative in the other address in Longstone road had a child William Hill Lilley in 1909, I traced him to Colchester ,he died in 1973 ,I got his death certificate thinking I could maybe find a son or daughter etc but he died as a result of an accident so the informant was the coroner ,would you have any ideas as how to find if he ever married or had children,many thanks for all your help already x

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 14 December 14 17:50 GMT (UK) »
From another forum, I notice you said Minnie, Thomas' sister, had proved elusive. Wondering if by any chance she is the same Minnie who is in Longstone Street in 1911, as wife of a William Irwin. Unfortunately the index I checked for the 1909 marriage of William is missing a potential spouse entry. Might be worth your while trying to check this further.

www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Lisburn/Longstone_Street/201826/

Your existing thread on William Hill Lilley:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=703413.0
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline janec123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 14 December 14 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help,i will check this out ,I did try emailing the coroner regarding William Hill Lilley but had no success ,yet another mystery lol x

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 14 December 14 19:54 GMT (UK) »
... William Hill Lilley in 1909, I traced him to Colchester ,he died in 1973 ,I got his death certificate thinking I could maybe find a son or daughter etc but he died as a result of an accident so the informant was the coroner ,would you have any ideas as how to find if he ever married or had children,

English death certificate will not list parents' names no matter who the informant was. You can use FreeBMD site to find vitla records in England & Wales although most recent details may not yet be covered.

You are more likely to find details in an obituary or report of the accident in the local newspaper(s). Don't think Coroner's receords are kept more than 20 years but hopefully someone will know.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 14 December 14 19:57 GMT (UK) »
From another forum, I notice you said Minnie, Thomas' sister, had proved elusive. Wondering if by any chance she is the same Minnie who is in Longstone Street in 1911, as wife of a William Irwin. Unfortunately the index I checked for the 1909 marriage of William is missing a potential spouse entry. Might be worth your while trying to check this further.
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Lisburn/Longstone_Street/201826/

Your existing thread on William Hill Lilley:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=703413.0

Emerald Ancestors free search should match up the first name of the bride and GRONI search the bride's surname (then can look for bride on EA site to cross-check). This Co.Antrim/Down database is also good for matching up the details-
http://www.ancestryireland.com/family-records/marriage-records-co-antrim-co-down/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!