Author Topic: Bristol, Somerset, Look-up Please - CURRAN  (Read 1239 times)

Offline WGoodall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Bristol, Somerset, Look-up Please - CURRAN
« on: Sunday 05 October 14 00:32 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am trying to locate birth and family information, and prove a family connection between two people who sailed on the "Mary Shepherd" from:

Deptford, London  -  20 December 1848
to
Port Phillip (i.e. Melbourne), Australia  -  4 April 1849

I believe my GGGrandmother Mary traveled on that ship with her brother Thomas - are they siblings?

Mary Amelia CURRAN  -  Bristol, Somerset
     b. abt. 1832

Thomas CURRAN  -  ?
     b. abt. 1829

On Mary's Death Certificate it shows her father as Martin CURRAN;  there was no mention of her mother.

Mary's name is not listed with the other single females in alphabetical order on the manifesto but listed second last on the list;  did her parents decide at the last minute she should join her brother on the trip to Australia? 

On the Passenger List it shows Thomas traveled with a group from the "Boys from the Ragged School of London".  I haven't found out why Thomas was sent to London to attend this school unless there was also a school in Bristol.

Best regards.

Wendy
Goodall  -  Lewis  -  Fitzgerald  -  Curran
Munday  -  Waterworth  -  Hayes  -  Lee
MacKinnon  -  McKinnon  -  Nicholson  -  Cameron
Wilcox  -  Bonser  -  Needham  -  Taylor

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: Bristol, Somerset, Look-up Please - CURRAN
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 October 14 08:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy,
I don't wish to confuse the situation, but I have found the following baptism records.
Source: Bristol & Avon Family History Society
Nonconformist Baptismal Registers, Bristol Records Office, 1754-1837
Baptisms held at St Mary, previously St Joseph RC, Children of Patrick & Joan CURRAN, Joan nee WALSH/WELSH:-
09/12/1827, Thomas CURRAN, b. 04/12/1827, Godparents/Sponsors: Thomas CLANCY & Helen WELSH.
27/12/1829, Martin CURRAN, b. 22/12/1829, Godparents/Sponsors: Cornelius CAREY & Joanna BROWN.
01/02/1832, Mary CURRAN, b. 31/01/1832, Godparents/Sponsors: Patrick MURPHY & Margaret FITZGERALD.
There was NO trace of a marriage for Patrick CURRAN & Joan WALSH/WELSH, and NO baptisms in the name of CURRAN recorded at any of the Church of England records.
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline WGoodall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Bristol, Somerset, Look-up Please - CURRAN
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 October 14 18:51 BST (UK) »

Hi Victor,

Thank you for your prompt response. 

Well, this isn't panning out to be as straight-forward as I thought ???  Um, I'm not sure what to try next. 

Best regards.

Wendy
Goodall  -  Lewis  -  Fitzgerald  -  Curran
Munday  -  Waterworth  -  Hayes  -  Lee
MacKinnon  -  McKinnon  -  Nicholson  -  Cameron
Wilcox  -  Bonser  -  Needham  -  Taylor