Author Topic: Birth Records in Hamburg, Germany 1819  (Read 2793 times)

Offline koo_mck

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth Records in Hamburg, Germany 1819
« on: Sunday 05 October 14 07:12 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I was wondering if someone could please help me find the birth certificate (or point me in the direction) for "Marianne Dorothea Rebecca MacDonel" who was born in 1819 in Hambury, Finsbury, Germany. I know her father's name was John, but I have no other details for her except for her marriage to Edward Sugden Price in Lambeth, London in 1844.

Thank you for your help.

Offline bradenfamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Records in Hamburg, Germany 1819
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 June 18 07:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Koo,    So sorry I hadn't seen you message a few years ago when you posted it.   If you are still researching Marianne McDonald and Edward Sugden Price, I'd love to make contact, as I too cannot find her birth records - but I'm descended from this family.   
Looking for any new "cousins" or anyone who can help.
Patricia.
Maguire,  Noble  (both from Fermanagh, Ireland)
Croke (from Kilkenny, Ireland)
Braden, Cruwys, Chidgey, Price, Strong, Skeen (from England)
Beaton, Nixon, Skeen,  (from Scotland)

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 June 18 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Patricia,

Welcome to RootsChat.

I was thinking that you would be struggling to move forward here, but I think I have found a very good lead for you.

Sophia Elise Therese Macdonel died in St. Pauli, Hamburg on 26 Feb 1890 at the age of 70 years and 11 months. She was unmarried and the daughter of John Macdonel, a dealer in fashionable clothes (Modehändler), and Catharina Margaretha born Holtz.

The Hamburg address books of 1818-20 records that John Macdonel, Modehandlung, at Krayenkamp no. 72
http://agora.sub.uni-hamburg.de/subhh-adress/digbib/view?did=c1:13382&sdid=c1:13519&hit=3

Moving forward to 1844, we have John Macdonel running a Wein- und Kaffehaus (wine and coffee house) at Kielerstrasse no. 60 in St. Pauli.
http://agora.sub.uni-hamburg.de/subhh-adress/digbib/view?did=c1:169563&p=193&z=150

I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that that was one and the same John Macdonel, the only one in the Hamburg address books.

Krayenkamp runs behind the St. Michaelis church - a protestant church. The parish registers (Kirchenbücher) are held in the Hamburg State Archives http://www.hamburg.de/bkm/benutzung/5017640/englisch-benutzung/

Justin

Offline bradenfamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 June 18 14:32 BST (UK) »
WOW Justin,
This certainly looks VERY interesting.  THANK YOU so much.

If it is indeed my family, then Sophia would be Maria Dorothea Rebecca MacDonel's sister.  She would have been born about 2-3 years after Maria (who was known as Marian for most of her life).

It's interesting that on Maria's Marriage Certificate to Edward Sugden Price in England in 1844,  her father John is listed as a "Publican".    I had always assumed he had returned to London to run such an establishment.  However, it seems he may have still been in Germany, running such a house.   

My goodness, after 20 years of searching for her family ("Struggling" is an understatement) ............. you may have answered my prayers.    Now I'll have to ask my good friend Mr. Google to translate all the sites you have so willingly provided.   It looks like I have a lot of work ahead of me - not that I mind as that's what keeps this old brain ticking.

(I had finally ascertained -guessed- that her mother was "Ellen" as she was the only child of the marriage whom I couldn't connect to a family member, but it looks as though my supposition may have been wrong - but I don't mind if I can prove that Catharina is indeed her mother.) 

Many, many thanks, as I really appreciate your prompt reply. 
Patricia in Sydney, Australia.

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 June 18 15:42 BST (UK) »
Hello again Patricia,

I couldn't resist doing a few more searches in the Hamburg address books.

John disappears from the mid-1820s to mid-1830s (I haven't checked every year). However, he was listed in 1838 and 1840 at the "Tavern Royal Victoria" Zeughausmarkt 20.
http://agora.sub.uni-hamburg.de/subhh-adress/digbib/view?did=c1:378511&sdid=c1:378642&hit=15

Then in 1841 at "The Royal Victoria Tavern", Stubenhuk 32.

This must have been Maria(n)'s father.

Have fun. Justin

Offline bradenfamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 June 18 00:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Justin,

Just as a "personal" question:   Do you read and understand German?  or like myself do you depend on a "google translate".   
Having just woken the following morning and about to begin a day of research, I'm wondering (in advance) how hard it's going to be for me.

Now that I've got the sites you've listed I also want to look for Marian's future husband (Edward Sugden Price) as I have a feeling he was working in Germany when he met her.

Anyway, just a thought as I step into unknown waters, as to what I'll be able to understand.

Once again,  thank you so much for your interest in helping me with this frustrating family.

Kindest regards,
Patricia

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 June 18 04:12 BST (UK) »
Schönen guten Morgen!

I lived and worked in Germany for nearly ten years, so I do have that advantage of a very good command of the language. I have also been researching my own ancestry from Germany for over 15 years and am very familiar with the old handwriting styles. A branch of my family had a presence in Hamburg for over a century.

However, you are not going to need much German to search through the Hamburg address books.
Here is the introductory page in English:
http://agora.sub.uni-hamburg.de/subhh-adress/digbib/start-en

There are several people here in RC that are able and willing to lend a helping hand with German. If you get stuck, just ask  :)

Justin

Offline bradenfamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 June 18 04:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you once again Justin,
I really appreciate the new link as Google in unable to translate the Directories. 
The Introductory page will make a big difference.   THANK YOU again.
Patricia.

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 June 18 10:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Patricia

the person who first posted "koo_mck", has a private family tree on Ancestry.
Her name is Kate McKenzie Redman.

To view be able to view her tree you need to contact her through an Ancestry subscription.

https://www.ancestry.de/connect/Profile/0230c458-0006-0000-0000-000000000000

If you need help contacting her let me know.

Dave