Author Topic: Horsham Baptism Look Up - Daniel SAYERS  (Read 4334 times)

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
Re: Horsham Baptism Look Up - Daniel SAYERS
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 October 14 18:15 BST (UK) »
Alice-Marie, there are several trees on Ancestry concerning Daniel & they suggest that he was the one born in Shipley.  In 1841 he was in North Lane, Brighton.  Obviously needs verification but that should come from the baptism entry in Shipley, hopefully it gives his father as, Daniel,

Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 October 14 18:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane
What is the reference for 1841?   I can't find them.  The only one I can see is a Daniel with wife Ann and he is a Miller.  No children.

Offline Alice-Marie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 October 14 19:50 BST (UK) »
Hi yes Sillgen I am looking for the SAYERS line and got stuck at Daniel's birth in 1808 some years ago now. I need to get sight of the second marriage certificate my Uncle has it, so will need to check with him.  He may have put Sayers but maybe if he was baseborn he may never have been told that his father was not a Sayers, who knows.  I know they must have been in or around Brighton at the time of 1841 but they did move about a bit so maybe they were travelling to where the work was as one of their sons was baptised in Hastings All Saints in 1833.  I can't seem to find any trace of Marianne, John or Alfred past their baptisms either so maybe they died.  They were not with their parents at time of 1851 census.  I did a lot of genealogy about 15 years ago and got a long way with some of the lines when I had the time to go to the actual locations.  I thought now there may be more information out there than back then but it doesn't seem like anyone else other than my Uncle is looking for Daniel!  Omega 1 we are related also to the James family of Pembrokeshire! Small world.  Thanks all for your insights. :)

Offline Alice-Marie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 06 October 14 19:53 BST (UK) »
Hi again, yes I found the Brighton Daniel 1841 married to Ann with no children, I don't think that is our Daniel.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 06 October 14 20:24 BST (UK) »
The problem is that there are several Daniel Sayers born in Sussex around that time.   When was the second marriage?     I can see Daniel as a widower in 1881 and then his death in 1886.
In 1871 he is with Harriet.    Are you sure he married twice?
Who do you descend from?

Offline Alice-Marie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 06 October 14 21:01 BST (UK) »
Hi I am a direct descended from Daniel SAYERS on my maternal line.  His second marriage was after 1881 and his death certificate 13/7/1886 shows the informant as widow Mary Jane Sayers present at the death 98 Ashford Road Eastbourne.  Gives his age as 78 years and occupation as Distraint Bailiff.  I know my Uncle has their marriage cert which should give more info, I have to persuade him to get it down from his attic! :)

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 07:36 BST (UK) »
I think important questions will be answered if you can see that second marriage cert.  It will give his occupation & his father's name plus witnesses who could help verify you have the right Daniel Sayers.
His first marriage in 1832 (parish register entry) to Harriet wont give father's name but should give his occupation & some witness names.  So worth tracking that down.
Silligen - I just copied the 1841 census information from the Ancestry tree without checking it.  When I looked a little closer at the information recorded on that tree, I found children being born to Daniel & Harriet after her death  ::) so not well researched!

Alice-Marie, so we are looking for a Daniel Sayers born about 1808, probably in Sussex with a father named, Daniel?

Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Alice-Marie

Looking for info regarding Alfred getting nowhere fast.

Sent you a Personal Message regarding the James`s

omega :)
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline Alice-Marie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 17:21 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Yes that is about the summary of it, Daniel SAYERS born circa 1808-1810 birthplaces given on census returns as Wisborough Green, Horsham and Shipley.  Father's name also Daniel.  I agree would be good to see the original entry of marriage to Harriet to pick up more clues.  Best Wishes all. :)