Author Topic: Desperately looking for lostCan t work  (Read 718 times)

Offline fraser1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Desperately looking for lostCan t work
« on: Monday 06 October 14 00:30 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me find two hours worth of work?
I wanted to make changes to an email I had sent so I clicked the reply to sender and made a lot of changes.  It saves automatically and I always have a quick look and it was in the draft file.  On my final look through I was happy with it and went to the drafts and it had gone. Looked in sent, received and trash with no luck.
What have I done and does anyone know where it could be?

Going to bed now but doubt if I will be able to sleep.  Not looking forward to doing it all again.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Sandra

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
Re: Desperately looking for lostCan t work
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 October 14 12:56 BST (UK) »
To clarify:-

1) You did not actually compose a new email.  Instead you went into the Sent folder and opened an existing email and clicked Reply - which meant you were sending it to yourself because you were the originator of the email.  Did you open it and then select Forward in order to select and send it to another recipient?
2) You mentioned that there was an email in the draft folder but are you sure it was the email you were working on?  The reason I say that is because when I start amending an email I have sent it does not show up in the draft folder.

I guess if you are going to work on something for 2 hours then it is probably best to copy the text into another program like Word and make your amendments there an then copy the amended text back later when you are ready to send.

I am not sure what program you are using but if you have closed your computer down then any temporary files and memory buffers that were open have been removed/flushed so you have probably lost the work.
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fraser1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Desperately looking for lostCan t work
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 12:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you for taking the time to give a very helpful and detailed reply.

A hard lesson  to learn. Best part of morning to redo and not as well done.

I have printed out your instructions and will follow next time.

Sandra