Author Topic: James, Donald, John Fraser of Dores Invernessshire  (Read 13332 times)

Offline irenaf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James, Donald, John Fraser of Dores Invernessshire
« Reply #27 on: Friday 30 June 17 11:28 BST (UK) »
Hi GordonF
Thanks for your contribution. It would be interesting to find out how long your grandfathers family stayed at the farm. The name of the lady you mentioned was Fraser-Tytler, the occupant of Aldourie House. I will check the census to see if the other female's name is mentioned. You didn't note your grandfathers family name. Even if not related still useful to help identify people at different times and their location. Could you share the photo?  No problem if not.

Thanks, Irene

Offline irenaf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 30 June 17 11:31 BST (UK) »
HI    WDFraser
Some very detailed info here and extremely helpful with dates etc. I will keep a note of it all and see how far I get. I tried to send you a PM, not sure if I was successful. You can get back to me if it was and I can always share my email address at that point, or continue using PM.

Irene

Offline KGordonF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 03 July 17 19:08 BST (UK) »
Irene:  I'm a Fraser.  Great grandfather:  Alexander(Wife:  Margaret), Grandfather: Simon.

From at least the 1770's until at least 1841 the family was located at Wester Clunes, in 1851 and 1861 they are at Lettoch, 1871 they are at Balnafoich and in 1881 they are in the village of Dores.

I'll be happy to get a copy of the picture to you.  Please PM me with your email. 

Offline Scotsquinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 10:32 BST (UK) »
By the way, if you wish to continue the discussion about Balnafoich Frasers, please send  your email address, or set up a gmail address where it would be possible to chat.

Thanks
WD FRASER

Hi there - do you have a date for the 1789 birth of James?  Was chatting to someone about a similar Fraser, wondering if they are one & the same?  Thanks
Shaw & McGillivray (Daviot & Dunlichity, Dores, Inverness & Nairn)
McTavish (Inverness-shire)

Offline WDFraser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 27 October 17 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Irene

I was in Scotland in October and visited Balnafoich. Alastair Forbes, local historian and a remarkable person, took me to the Smiddy (now a cottage) where James Fraser worked in the late 1700s. I did not find his place of burial. But I did find the abandoned croft of  his James' son John's wife was born in 1806 at Loinmarstaig near Pitlochry. I would very much like to see what you have found out about these Fraser's if Balnafoich. I am not proficient at the personal message system on this rootschat. But I will try to follow this link to keep in touch. WD Fraser

Offline WDFraser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 27 October 17 11:44 BST (UK) »
By the way, I did not find the DOB of James as yet. Bill

Offline WDFraser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 27 October 17 11:46 BST (UK) »
PSS. The Smiddy is standing and serves as a cottage but the original cottage was taken down.

Offline GeoffDixon

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 11 December 17 11:39 GMT (UK) »
I have been searching for more details of my grandmother's grandfather - Hugh Fraser born 1826 at Fort Augustus.  I have his obit and it quotes he was a blacksmith.  Feel there must be some connection with your blacksmith as trades tended to run through the same family.  He is buried at Dorres and lived at Torness.  He is mentioned in several descriptions of the churchyard and the book Country called Stretterick.  He lost his arm in an accident and became the "man with the iron hand" - so he should be relatively easy to identify.  After he lost his arm his obit quotes him as the post runner for Urquhart - that has always puzzled me - perhaps he crossed Loch Ness by boat as post runners did travel large distances in those days.  If you feel there is a connection please let me know Thanks Geoff Dixon   

Offline WDFraser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 11 December 17 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Geoff

I am uncertain. The James who was my GGG GF would have been born around 1760. He had 5 sons who came to Canada. It is possible that he had a grandson named Hugh born to a son who stayed in Scotland. The families did not correspond much after the migration, however I am not aware of a cousin of my GGGF loosing a limb. Best. WDF