Author Topic: Who is this - what uniform?  (Read 2386 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Who is this - what uniform?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 April 18 06:48 BST (UK) »
Hello again Lilly09

My husband's mother moved to Wales in about 1920 and did not keep in close contact with the wider family so we don't know anyone who still lives there.  There are still some people with the surname GOULDBY in Lowestoft.

Do you have access to Ancestry UK?  Some public libraries have access for free which would be worth using.  There's some information on my tree and another couple of trees about the GOULDBY family, much more than I can easily pass onto you.

Here's the links for some Rootschat threads mentioning the GOULDBYs

Re the emigration to Canada:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=345240.9

Re the father George GOULDBY:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=739111.9

Good luck with it.  Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 April 18 18:05 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon,

The uniform is basically a copy of a British hussars uniform. The Canadian militia cavalry all used the British 13th hussars uniform as a pattern. They had run a training school in Canada between 1866 and 1869 to give the militia formal cavalry training.

The Canadian army at that time was nearly all part time, they still had only about 3000 full time troops when ww1 broke out.

There were 2 permanent units at the time in question and 36 militia cavalry. Of these 11 were hussars, some were named some only numbered. The following are the numbers of the hussars, 1, 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 14, 17, 21 and 33.

Those in the know will instantly recognise the numbering as being almost identical to the British light cavalry regts. Only the 1st, 6th, 17th, 21st and 33rd are not hussars in the British army. We had no 33rd, 1st and 6th were dragoons and 17th and 21st were lancers.

So no way of telling from the photo which Canadian regt they are.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 08:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you, John, for that reply which at least lets me know that it was Hussar uniform.  my husband's grandfather and great-uncle went to Canada from Lowestoft, England in about 1909 -1910.
Edgar GOULDBY b 1874  - possibly known as Thomas Edgar GOULDBY in Canada (see below)
Frank GOULDBY 1879-1913

Edgar is not my husband's direct ancestor so I've not research him very far, but I know he stayed in Canada.  Seems likely the photo is Edgar, as the birthdate lyn22 found for the attestation for Thomas Edgar GOULDBY is the same as our Edgar. 

Frank sadly died in Toronto in 1913.  Are Canadian military records on-line?  I don't have a world-wide subscription to Ancestry so can't take it much further.

Many thanks for your info, greatly appreciated.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk