Author Topic: Londonderry Militia  (Read 1260 times)

Offline s58roads

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Londonderry Militia
« on: Tuesday 07 October 14 09:22 BST (UK) »
My GGGrandfather, Hugh McGrogan, served some 21 years in the Londonderry Militia from 1794 until 1816. He retired Sergeant "in consequence of rheumatism and being worn out" according to his Militia Record WO 119/33/186 Royal Hospital Kilmainham A9689. I am trying to find out where he served in these 21 years and any campaigns he was engaged in as his Militia record does not carry this detail.
Any help appreciated.
Geoff
Mann, Forfar
Dalrymple, Closeburn
McPake, Carluke
Stormont, Forfar
Waterston, Forfar

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Londonderry Militia
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 09:35 BST (UK) »
Also on Londonderry board with replies-

topic moved
My GGG Grandfather Hugh McGroggan served some 21years in the Londonderry Militia from 1794 until 1816. Ref: National Archives, Kew, WO 119/33/186 Kilmainham A9689.
Does anyone know where I can find details of service records, campaigns, medals or awards etc
which cover his period of service?
Look forward to receiving any pointers or references.
Geoff
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 11:09 BST (UK) »
The Londonderry Militia were regular Militia, ie when they were embodied (made full-time) they were usually sent at least 100 miles from their home county to guard the coast. This allowed regular regiments to be sent overseas to fight the French (and later the USA). Occasionally they served overseas themselves in a colony.

By serving away from home it allowed the march there to be part of the training. It also acted as a deterent for men tempted to slip home to see the family. Men would often take their wives with them. And lots met and married in the places they were sent to.

They later introduced local Militia who only served within their home county. Selection for both was by ballot and you should contact the local Record Office as they may have the ‘census’ taken of all men c16 to 60, plus they may have the lists of men selected. Chosen men could pay for a substitute to serve in their place, and these could come from anywhere.

You should also ask the Record Office if there is a history of the regiment available. If not the best way to find out when he was embodied, and where he served is to research the muster books in the National Archives. These are not online. The oldest they have covers 1793 to 1798 and is likely to be large sheets of parchment covering six months, and giving basic information only. Later ones cover a year and should tell you where he was month by month.  You can then check the church records for BMD events if that is what you are after.

Ken

Offline s58roads

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 11:22 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Ken for this comprehensive response. I will follow up your suggestions.
Geoff
Mann, Forfar
Dalrymple, Closeburn
McPake, Carluke
Stormont, Forfar
Waterston, Forfar

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 12:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoff,

If you wish for us to move a posting you can request this by clicking on the "report to moderator" button and we can move it for you ;D (keeps and the research together)

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mrattray

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 September 21 04:08 BST (UK) »
My Great Great Grandfather, Richey Brooks, born in 1835 in Magherfelt, Tyrone, Northern Ireland was a in the Londonderry Militia in around the 1860's as a drill instructor. He came out to NZ on the SS Lauderdale in 1874 but we don't know much else about him prior to coming to NZ. Can anyone point me in the right direction as I seem to have hit a brickwall with my Irish heritiage.

Thanks
Matt Rattray