Author Topic: Suicide by hanging.  (Read 4301 times)

Offline pinkteedee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Suicide by hanging.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 October 14 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks,
I have just sent email to archives.

Regards
Pinkteedee

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 October 14 20:40 GMT (UK) »
I've just had a quick search on the Welsh Papers online Site, - but can't find your man:

http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk

However, perhaps someone more familiar with that Site than I am might be able to find something.

Fingers crossed that the reports for 1907 have survived! (I know that those for the 1930's were destroyed in the 1970's:-(

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline pinkteedee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 October 14 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for looking
Regards
Pinkteedee

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 26 October 14 20:46 GMT (UK) »

You might also find the info on here of use:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/coroners-inquests.htm

(I will look further for you tomorrow, - as busy at the present moment).

Best Wishes, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 27 October 14 00:31 GMT (UK) »
What I find interesting is that a week or so ago, on the Jeremy Vine show they were talking about suicide by hanging and they had a so called expert on who said you couldn't tell from a death certificate that a person had committed suicide. 

I knew that was wrong as my husband's 2 x g.grandfather's cause of death was "Strangulation by hanging, suicidal, temporary insanity induced by excessive alcohol" that was in 1882, now pinkteedee also has a similar cause of death for someone in 1907.

I wonder if things have changed since that time or if, as the "expert" was Scottish, he only knew about Scottish certificates and assumed the other UK certs were the same.  Certainly when I downloaded the notification of my grandfather from Scotlandspeople, there were 2 other names on the page and one of them was a 25 year old who died on a river bank from a gunshot wound to the head but there was no comment about whether it was suicide or not.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 October 14 07:30 GMT (UK) »
Well, - that so called 'expert' was wrong!

I'm attaching the cause of death bit from my Uncle's Death Cert, (1930) and it clearly says 'suicide'. I believe that the 'on a sudden impulse' comment was to spare the family from the stigma of depression... (OK, it won't attach here for some reason).

Of course, attempting suicide was a crime, until (I think) as late as the 1960's, - and so not something that people would have wanted to talk about.

Pinkteedee, - so many Daniel Thomas's in Wales at that time! Do you have a definate Date and Place of Birth, & was he Married? Also, so you have him on any of the Censuses?

Romilly.
Researching:

Offline pinkteedee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 27 October 14 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Yes I know that there are many many Daniel Thomas. The reason that I am searching is that he is interred in a family grave in trealaw cemetery and his name doesn't fit with the other occupants. Davies is the surname which is extremely difficult to research! I have asked before on this board if any body had any thoughts as to why he is in this grave.
I only have the death certificate....
Thanks for your help anyway, I might not ever find out any information.

Regards
Pinkteedee

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 27 October 14 09:50 GMT (UK) »

I'm surprised he's in a named grave. (My Uncle who committed suicide is in an unmarked grave). Does it actually say on the gravestone that he was a suicide?

And was he definately a relative?

Romilly.
Researching:

Offline pinkteedee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 27 October 14 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
Sadly no headstone, but according to my information he is in the grave, I don't even know if he was a relation, that's why I am intrigued. I don't live nearby either, so it's interenet research only for me.

Regards
Pinkteedee