Author Topic: Presbyterian Section 6E at Rookwood Cemetery, Sydney  (Read 5290 times)

Offline abcsydney

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Presbyterian Section 6E at Rookwood Cemetery, Sydney
« on: Tuesday 07 October 14 22:00 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I'm seeking the exact location of Presbyterian,  Section 6E,  at Rookwood Cemetery, Lidcombe, Sydney.

I've seen the map on Rookwood online but it's not detailed enough.

Also, I've visited the cemetery & seen the above ground sign which has a number of sections & includes 6E.....but still unable to physically locate Section 6E.

Does anyone have a detailed map of  Presbyterian,  Section 6E,  at Rookwood Cemetery, Lidcombe, Sydney or know where I can find such map or information, please?

Thanks
Abcsydney

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Presbyterian Section 6E at Rookwood Cemetery, Sydney
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 03:32 BST (UK) »
http://www.sag.org.au/downloads/8_527%20Presbyterianlayout.pdf
http://austcemindex.com/cemetery.php?id=867

"For further information, contact the Rookwood Independent Cemetery Office in the cemetery grounds. It also provides an online name search facility at the following URL."

See http://www.rookwoodindependent.com.au

Fingers crossed that there's some clues in the above links.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline stuart.d

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 06:53 BST (UK) »
I believe the Presbyterian / Independent Cemetery Trust has merged with the Anglican and General Cemetery Trust.  The website for the Presbyterian cemetery no longer exists.  Also the search facility at the General Cemetery website at http://www.rookwoodcemetery.com.au/ has been out of action for over a year.

The previous Presbyterian search gave you the option to print out a map showing exactly where the grave was located.  (ie the red circle on the attached map) The location was accurate as I went straight to the grave/headstone I was seeking.

The area circled in green on the attached map is Presbyterian Section 6E - on the western side.

cheers
Stuart
Duncan, Newnham, Glenn, Brown

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 08:29 BST (UK) »
Intrigued by the map Stuart. What exactly does land of  living mean?
North East of England

Offline stuart.d

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 09:31 BST (UK) »
I have no idea, but suggest it was originally a picnic area within the cemetery.  Not sure if you realise that Rookwood is the largest cemetery in the southern Hemisphere. Over 300ha / 877 acres. Prior to WWII the Cemetery had 5 railway stations.

The following is an extract from http://www.sydneyghosttour.com/blog/category/rookwood
"Rookwood was designed as a Victorian era garden where the living went to spend time with the dead, with gardens, flowers, rows of trees, pavilions to shelter from the sun and have picnics in, streams and fountains."
Duncan, Newnham, Glenn, Brown

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 13:06 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have found amongst my "collectors items" a map that I obtained years ago from the Rookwood Independent Office which details the all the sections, it includes 6E. It is not the most fancy map but it might help.

I have scanned it but am having trouble attaching it, if you send me a pm with your email address I will send it to you tomorrow

Cass

Offline abcsydney

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 20:55 BST (UK) »
Hi, majm, stuart.d & Cass T,

Thank you all very much for the info & maps. Now hoping for a fine day to visit.

Regards,
abcsydney