Author Topic: Fawcett's of Sedbergh (Lockbank)  (Read 3475 times)

Offline notaninch

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fawcett's of Sedbergh (Lockbank)
« on: Wednesday 08 October 14 20:55 BST (UK) »
There are many branches of this family - the particular branch I am interested in is as follows

Francis Fawcett (b abt 1605) m Dorothy . Would have married abt 1630. They had the following children Thomas (b 1632), Anne (b 1634), Henry (b 1640), Dorothy (b 1642), Richard (b 164?). They lived at Lockbank in the hamlet of Marthwaite just outside Sedbergh. Francis died 1653 his wife Dorothy in 1677. The Fawcett's owned farmland at Lockbank - in 1570 William Fawcett buys land at Lockbank was he Francis Fawcett's grandfather?

Can you help with identifying the surname of Dorothy who married Francis. Who Francis parents were and when he was born.   

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Fawcett's of Sedbergh (Lockbank)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 21:45 BST (UK) »
Just looking for your Fawcett's info, found the dates of death o'k but having a struggle with marriage info! (Book I have only covers marriage and burials 1594 - 1800)
 Brian
Add nothing on Francis Fawcett marriage.
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline notaninch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 21:56 BST (UK) »
Just looking for your Fawcett's info, found the dates of death o'k but having a struggle with marriage info! (Book I have only covers marriage and burials 1594 - 1800)
 Brian

Brian

Same here - the only way is if someone else has managed to find other branches that mention this branch or you stumble across "wills" that tie people together!

Peter

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 22:10 BST (UK) »
Just found a similar titled book, this one covers baptism records only.
https://dcms.lds.org/delivery/DeliveryManagerServlet?dps_pid=IE1043904&from=fhd
[Francis Fawcett son of Richard of Croshawe 25th March 1612]
Doing a CTRL+F Fawcett search, doing my eyes in ::)
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline notaninch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 22:29 BST (UK) »
Just found a similar titled book, this one covers baptism records only.
https://dcms.lds.org/delivery/DeliveryManagerServlet?dps_pid=IE1043904&from=fhd
[Francis Fawcett son of Richard of Croshawe 25th March 1612]
Doing a CTRL+F Fawcett search, doing my eyes in ::)
 Brian

Brian

I'm pretty sure the Fawcett's of Croshawe are a different branch to mine.....but I can be persuaded if we can find additional clues!

Offline notaninch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Fawcett's of Sedbergh (Lockbank) -Correction
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 11:15 GMT (UK) »
There are many branches of this family - the particular branch I am interested in is as follows

Francis Fawcett (b abt 1605) m Dorothy . Would have married abt 1630. They had the following children Thomas (b 1632), Anne (b 1634), Henry (b 1640), Dorothy (b 1642), Richard (b 164?). They lived at Lockbank in the hamlet of Marthwaite just outside Sedbergh. Francis died 1653 his wife Dorothy in 1677. The Fawcett's owned farmland at Lockbank - in 1570 William Fawcett buys land at Lockbank was he Francis Fawcett's grandfather?

Can you help with identifying the surname of Dorothy who married Francis. Who Francis parents were and when he was born.

I have since discovered that Francis Fawcett was in fact the son of Thomas Fawcett of Lockbank not Richard, as I may have previously suggested. Furthermore Francis is granted ownership of a parcel of land called Haveray at Lockbank from his father in 1616. It was in 1598 that Thomas - father of Francis bought this land from Richard Holme of Langthwaite in Howgill. From this we can reasonably deduce that Francis is born late 16th century in the Sedbergh area and that his father Thomas is born abt 1560-1570 again probably in the Sedbergh area.

Offline legallass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 November 14 17:16 GMT (UK) »
I too have Fawcett & Sedgwick ancestry from this area but these were not uncommon names in the area unfortunately.  Sedgwicks lived at Lockbank farm until not too long ago. Have you tried the Sedbergh family history society to see if they can help?  Let us know how you get on, I may be able to help, I grew up in the Sedbergh area so am familiar with names of places & people!  My Sedgwicks came from Howgill & Fawcetts from Dent, both hamlets just outside of Sedbergh.
Nelson, 2 lines. WR Yorkshire & Westmorland
Renshaw, Huddersfield & Bradford

Offline legallass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 November 14 22:01 GMT (UK) »
I'm new to RootsChat & can't send you a personal message or reply direct to your pm.  If you are interested in the Sedgwick line I have a scanned copy of some research I was given several years ago which I'd be happy to share.  It starts with Thomas Sedgwick b 1610 who lived at Gibbs Hall & I believe is an ancestor of the Sedgwicks you mention at Lockbank, there is a Moore Sedgwick who I think was the grandfather of the author of the document.  If you want to PM me again 7 let me have your email address I will let you have a copy.
Kath
Nelson, 2 lines. WR Yorkshire & Westmorland
Renshaw, Huddersfield & Bradford

Offline BridgetM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 February 16 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kath,

I am currently researching my Haygarths and Sedgwicks of Kirthwaite in Dent.  I'd be interested in seeing any Sedgwick research you're willing to share. 

Thanks!
Bridget